What's new

Surface RT and DLNA

ArnoldC

Yesterday I purchased a Western Digital. N900 Central and was pleased that the Surface sees it as a DLNA device.

As expected, none of the built in apps sees it. So I use the Desktop to access the contents.

Windows Media Player on my Windows 7 Pro provided a pretty good experience.

Time to look for an app in the store but I'm not having high hopes.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Board Express

Last edited:

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
Yes, the sharing option from inside metro is rather ... - i think the device has to be Windows RT certified. It's quite a huge drawback, that, without a xbox360, streaming media is such a pain and a definite field where ms has to catch up.

OP
ArnoldC

ArnoldC

The PowerDVD Mobile proved to be a disappointment, as while it sees the NAS, it can't connect. Looks like it expects a PowerDVD Ultra on the server side. Ironically, my HTC One V can view the NAS contents from the built-in Gallery (photo and video) and Music player (music). Similarly, my HTC Windows Phone 8S can also access the NAS contents.

Last edited:

R0bR

Yes, the sharing option from inside metro is rather ... - i think the device has to be Windows RT certified. It's quite a huge drawback, that, without a xbox360, streaming media is such a pain and a definite field where ms has to catch up.

The whole concept of the Xbox being the center of your home media experience is ok but until they eliminate the restrictions that concept has it won't be a success. My main media hub is my Boxee Box, it will play any media file you throw at it, will connect to any source on the network, automatically catalogs and thumbnails movies and TV shows, it scrapes the internet for available TV shows from the major networks and catalogs them as well. If MS would bring some of that to the Xbox it would be a killer application.