What's new

Surface RT at Best Buy & Staples

ArnoldC

Do you folks think it will sell by itself massively with just Microsoft ads, and not with people like us evangelizing the product?

J515OP

Super Moderator
I don't think it will sell massively under any circumstance. Compared to iPad, Kindle and Nexus 7 this Surface is going to be a slow burn. MS is in it for the long haul though like with their phones. After a full year or so when people currently frustrated by the tablet productivity experience realize that the Surface addresses their needs and after corps have had a chance to evaluate we will see accelerated adoption. Let's face it though, Surface (and other Win8/RT tablets) isn't in the impulse buy category like the cheaper android tablets so a holiday retail blitz is not in the cards.

mrasmussen

what will help is when win 8 makes its way into everyday lives, work/home PCs. Once folks are comfortable with the metro UI, they'll look at the surface and win phone 8 and think, wow, I can have that on a tablet as well. MS is in a good position I believe. Unless Apple does something drastic I can't see how folks continue to buy the tablet at the rate they do today. The UI is boring and frankly, I think they might have the worse of the three operating systems competing today. Order of my preference is MS, Android, iOS.

OP
bosamar

bosamar

Do you folks think it will sell by itself massively with just Microsoft ads, and not with people like us evangelizing the product?
Most buyers want to hold it in their hands before purchasing... I was lucky because I had 4 MS stores within an hour of my home. Sales will certainly increase...

TeknoBlast

Just noticed this morniing that the Surface page in Best Buy went live. Yeserday, I saw it as "Coming Soon."
I'm excited about this and hope this will increase sales with this wonderful device.

Best Buy Link

Series7man

Went to my local Best Buy yesterday in Jensen Beach, Florida. They had the Surface but the display for the Surface was horrible. They had it set up at the back of the store facing the wall. It was behind all the other computers and peripherals. Unless you went there looking for it or you just happened to stumble across it, you would not even know it was there.

OP
bosamar

bosamar

I think I'm going to visit my local Best Buy (5 minute drive) and check out their RT display. I'll play dumb and ask a lot of questions to see how they answer/knowledge level. I'll post the results.

Sin

I received an email today from Best Buy with an advertisement for the Surface. Good to see and glad this should provide more availability for people to get a good hands on try.

ArnoldC

I think I'm going to visit my local Best Buy (5 minute drive) and check out their RT display. I'll play dumb and ask a lot of questions to see how they answer/knowledge level. I'll post the results.

I'd be interested to find out, let us know.

OP
bosamar

bosamar

Well I found time to go to my local Best Buy today to view their Surface display and quiz the staff. I searched the computer area and could not find the display. I finally ask a staff if they had one I could look at and he told me, "We have the Surface in stock but haven't setup the display yet.".

Series7man

Well I found time to go to my local Best Buy today to view their Surface display and quiz the staff. I searched the computer area and could not find the display. I finally ask a staff if they had one I could look at and he told me, "We have the Surface in stock but haven't setup the display yet.".

Pretty sad if you ask me. The world is full of Applebots!