What's new

Surface RT Breaking Home Network

tonyg253

Hi all, I am having an issue with Surface RT and my home network.
The problem is that the whole network sharing of my router is somehow disabled when the Surface is on the network, what I mean by that, is that all my devices can access the internet, but the network sharing, ie printing, media server etc stops working, and I cant see any other network devices from any pc other than the router.

Sometimes this doesn't happen straight away, but happens all the time when my surface in on, I have tested the network with Surface off, and all good.

I am having to restart my router to resolve the issue, and it only lasts a short time and the surface will throw it out again.

I though it may have been a fault with my surface, so I sold my 32RT and bought a 64RT and got the same result

However, my surface works fine at work, no issues at all.

So I tried a new router at home and same issue

So I recently purchased a Surface pro, and it works great, no issues.
However, I really liked the light weight and battery life of the RT.

I have done a lot of searching and I cant really see any similar issues
Desperate for any help.

Omni

That sounds very strange. Other than a IP conflict I cant work out why a Surface would do that. Its just like any other device on a network so shouldn't cause any problems. Have you tried a static IP? Hopefully someone else might have an idea.

OP
T

tonyg253

All my machines are running windows 7 Ultimate, no homegroup setup as such. I'm not worried about sharing or even access to other pc's from the surface, its just that it kills the router so that the other pc's cant print, and my media server cant be reached from the other machines. When router is rebooted, everything works great for about 20 minutes? its like a service in the router is shutting down due to some sort of conflict from the surface. Just strange that the surface seams to cause it.

OP
T

tonyg253

As a temporary measure, i have created a guest wifi access point within my router, and connected the surface, so its not on my main wifi.
working fine now, but obviously not part of the home network. Will try and isolate individual devices at some point and see if i can find whats causing the issue.
Must be some sort of conflict that the router cant resolve.

Omni

Have you tried it on someone elses network? That would certainly explain if its the RT or your network at fault.

OP
T

tonyg253

hi there, i have tried on several other networks and works fine, no issues.
Seems to be an issue only at my house, i have tried 3 different routers, although they were all Telstra branded routers 1 x Thompson and 2 x technicolour
and they issue is still present.
only think i haven't tried is another router, not Telstra supplied.

Omni

hi there, i have tried on several other networks and works fine, no issues.
Seems to be an issue only at my house, i have tried 3 different routers, although they were all Telstra branded routers 1 x Thompson and 2 x technicolour
and they issue is still present.
only think i haven't tried is another router, not Telstra supplied.

That would be something to defiantly try. Routers are very cheap these days so that's a good thing.