What's new

Surface RT crashes during Youtube video playback

Neilbug

My Surface RT is probably about 2 or 3 years old now, and it suffers from an annoying problem when playing YouTube videos. I am a massive gamer and use my surface alot for watching game guides and walkthroughs on YouTube. However if I pause a video and put the tablet to the side I often find when I go to resume the video a few minutes later the screen has gone off and the power button is unresponsive. I actually have to perform a hard reset of the tablet by pushing and holding the power button for several seconds, often numerous times before the tablet powers back up back at the start screen. This is the only time this does this, I usually don't power my surface down when finished with it, but usually put it in sleep mode, and occasionally experience the above problem when starting it back up, anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

cheers

Neil

leweezo

I am also having this problem, I am searching EVERYWHERE to find a answer that works.. I will report back "if " I find a answer.. Please do the same if you find a answer.. I hope someone here will reply..

kundas1

what are you using to browse the internet? IE or some other app? also is it first gen or 2nd gen RT device? we need more details my good man! lol try downloading and using another web browser... there was one I tried out and worked very good but the name escapes me ATM.

leweezo

Thank you for your reply kundas!.. Ok here is the whole story.. (it is my wife's tablet, I am legally blind and have to use a dsktop) I believe it is a 1st gen because it is a Surface Rt not a Surface 2. I know she is using IE because she always uses IE. Is there other browsers avail for RT?. If that is the answer, it would be easy to fix. I will tell her to look in the Micro - store for another browser.

Thanks
leweezo

kundas1

look in the store for "browser" as your search and you should find a couple of browsers to use and try those and see what works better... I forget which one I used and it worked really well, as I don't have my Surface RT anymore (girlfriend has it now) but I do remember the icon for it was blue? LOL

leweezo

OK, that did not work, She downloaded UC browser and when she tried to use it she got a message "you are using a outdated version of internet explorer" She has done the system updates but still the same outcome. Do you know a way of updating IE?

kundas1

IE should be up to date if you did all updates... can you try it in MS EDGE browser and see if it works, if not then maybe someone else who is more knowledgeable can help you? perhaps IE cant handle HTML5 protocols? I don't think youtube is still using flash, are they?