What's new

Surface RT for Schools?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I use a Plex Server on my HTPC Server and I'm able to play both Internet Streaming Content (Twit.TV, Revision3, PBS, CBS, Food Network, HGTV) and local libraries...I don't use mkv files though...

machistmo

Funny how this thread started out talking about the RT in schools and ended up being a discussion about streaming TV and Entertainment content. :) Its like the entire thread has ADD.

OP
B

BruceBanner

hahaha yeh my fault...

So... discuss pros and cons of Surface vs Chromebook. To my eyes they are similar priced, similar devices aiming at giving you just internet really and not alot else... Which one wins? I'm not bumping thread for sake of bump, Chromebook has come up as possible option for the schools also.

machistmo

ChromeBook = Google ad machine. <--Now they have a direct line to your kids while they are learning. I don't know why but Google gives me the willies where privacy is concerned, oh yea I know why, their position on it sucks!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
hahaha yeh my fault...

So... discuss pros and cons of Surface vs Chromebook. To my eyes they are similar priced, similar devices aiming at giving you just internet really and not alot else... Which one wins? I'm not bumping thread for sake of bump, Chromebook has come up as possible option for the schools also.

Comes down to two things, do you want to invest in a Google Ecosystem using Google Docs, etc.. or do you want MS Office and the Microsoft Ecosystem. What vendor has the district invested in?

Also Chrome has less MDM options, Android is actually better supported and has more Apps.

Rallicat

There are over 6000 apps in the Windows 8 Marketplace categorised as education. You can see some top picks online here: Apps for Windows 8 - Microsoft Windows or grab someone's Windows 8 tablet and have a browse of the marketplace for yourself!

There are plenty of tablet solutions you could deploy into your school that would work really well. Surface RT would be a great choice - Windows RT gives you a lot of flexibility. 'Flexibility' may be low down on your list of priorities, but deploy iPads, and you'll quickly wish you could adapt them more to meet the ever changing needs that occur in school! Best advice? Contact either Microsoft Australia Education team direct to discuss your needs and get help by emailing [email protected] , or find a Microsoft Educational Partner in your area that you could work with you help address your needs best: Search Results on Microsoft Pinpoint

What you'll really be looking for is a solution to ensure you're able to address your specific educational needs - make use of manageable, meaningful apps that teachers and kids alike can really get something out of that enriches the educational experience. Anyone can shove a tablet in front of a child and get them to run a 'learning' app - but for a better experience, you need an app that also includes the teacher, and allows them to monitor and direct the learning experience being delivered through all the tablets in use in class.

pallentx

I don't get Chromebook at this stage. Its beyond limiting.

An yes, file sharing and accessing network locations is just like windows. There might be limits to media codecs that can playback. WAY more options than you'll get on an iPad, for sure.