What's new

Surface RT for work use

mrasmussen

I have it next to me at work but I don't use it for work. I do dev work so unless VS or VMWare can run on the RT, it's pretty much a fun machine. I do see a lot of potential with SkyDrive and Office for folks who live in office to take this thing and go nuts.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I use it for work every day. I use it as a Lync Client 5-10 times a day, I use it for Office Documents and I use it as an RDP Client to my Windows 8 Desktop as a Touch Interface.

Rallicat

Primarily I use mine for a bit of note taking when in meetings - Onenote is perfect for this in either the desktop or Metro form. I Sync these using Skydrive to the Onenote software installed on my main desktop machine at work.

A bit of Word use occasionally, and I've delivered a presentation using PowerPoint (plugged into a projector with the VGA adapter!)

OP
G

Golou

I have used mine already with a projector, I will say very nice. I just hope a cisco app comes out soon for VPN. Then it will replace my iPad.

I use Word, Excel and Skydrive on a daily basis. The Surface hasn't replaced my desktop work system, but I'm going to use it for travel instaed of a laptop from now on.

compnovo

I use mine for Powerpoint presentations, Word and Excel documents, and the Outlook Web app to access my work email. When I first saw that MS was going to bundle a light version of Office with Win8 RT I knew it would be able to replace my work portable (just not my desktop).

Lest I give the wrong impression, I use my Surface mostly for play. :)

OP
G

Golou

Oh it's not a desktop replacement by any means. I didn't purchase it for that use. But I do use it on the go or when I go to our different sites.

Bruce

I manage a bunch of contractors on Microsoft's various Redmond campuses, and I take my Surface with me when I'm meeting with clients and contractors. OneNote is great. I use Lync, SharePoint, shared drives via VPN, open and edit Word and Excel files.

compnovo

Oh it's not a desktop replacement by any means. I didn't purchase it for that use. But I do use it on the go or when I go to our different sites.

I consider it the best of all worlds: a desktop for heavy content creation and game play, and a hybrid device that can be either a laptop or a tablet (for less heavy work and play). This thing fits my needs perfectly.

jnoel311

Bruce -
Do you do anything with PDF docs downloaded and uploaded to SharePoint? Im having some trouble with this on my Surface and if I can't get it fixed I may have to get rid of it - which I don't want to do. I've tried Answer Desk and Micrsoft Chat - at o ne point one of them told me I just can't do what I want but I'm getting a different response from others. Any thoughts?