What's new

Surface RT for work

oion

So, I got my surface rt. I'll be using it in the field soon.

I had a talk with my boss. For now, he's using his personal surface 2, and I'll be using my surface rt. He's still got responsibility to he company, and he doesn't want to rock the boat too much. Again, we got plenty of grumpy old engineers that are anti-technology here.

On a side note, I ordered a blue touch cover and got a pink one. The dealer is very apologetic and is sending a replacement. If it doesn't come by Monday, I'll be using the pink one temporarily at work. I wanna see people's faces when they see me with a pink tablet hehe.

I had to +1 for your willingness to use the pink one for kicks.

As per the bolded, that sounds so bass-ackwards!

Hope you enjoy your Surface. :)

OP
ChemCat

ChemCat

I had to +1 for your willingness to use the pink one for kicks.

As per the bolded, that sounds so bass-ackwards!

Hope you enjoy your Surface. :)
Haha, my boss bought a surface 2 with a purple type cover. He likes it a lot.

OP
ChemCat

ChemCat

At the risk of stating the obvious:

Development, and intellectual property ownership, along those lines can be tricky. A verbal agreement may not be enough, especially if your Salary/Job Description contains any programming hint. Might be worth investing in legal counsel, just to be sure.
Nope, my employment contract contains no programming hint at all. I was hired as a design and inspection engineer. Even though I told them I was working as a programmer before, since it was a bunch of old engineers interviewing me, they thought I was talking about creating spreadsheets. To this day, one of the older guys still think the program I've been working on is nothing more than an excel spreadsheet.

kristalsoldier

Haha, my boss bought a surface 2 with a purple type cover. He likes it a lot.

Ye3ah...the purple type cover seems to be a very popular one and apparently somewhat difficult to get because of stock shortage! It is a cool colour though and strangely suits the Surface 2.

hotphil

One thing that might help a business case to get yourself a Pro - if you use any of the Office apps on the RT, I believe they're not licensed for work/business use. Strange choice by MS - give you productivity software but not a license to use it to be productive.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
One thing that might help a business case to get yourself a Pro - if you use any of the Office apps on the RT, I believe they're not licensed for work/business use. Strange choice by MS - give you productivity software but not a license to use it to be productive.

Unless your company has a Select or Enterprise Agreement or an Office365 E3 or higher subscription, then you can use Office for commercial use. This is true for Microsoft Office Home and Student no matter which Architecture or how installed (i.e. If you but it with the Dell Venue 8 Pro or buy it at Staples to load on your desktop).

OP
ChemCat

ChemCat

Dont worry. My app has nothing to do with office. It does have a part that allows the user to save calculation results as PDF files. Will this be a problem?

hotphil

Unless your company has a Select or Enterprise Agreement or an Office365 E3 or higher subscription, then you can use Office for commercial use. This is true for Microsoft Office Home and Student no matter which Architecture or how installed (i.e. If you but it with the Dell Venue 8 Pro or buy it at Staples to load on your desktop).
Many thanks for the clarification! I simply can't understand how I lived without OneNote and Outlook on Surface, it's genuinely transformed the way I work. And to know I'm not in any licence violation makes me happy.

oion

I think you made a great suggestion, You may want to look into some type of protective case like the Incipo Feather Lite or their handle case.

Missed this, but I wanted to add for OP's sake--

Incipio's Feather/Capture cases are the only ones on the market of that type, but the Feather is made for the first generation Surface RT and Pro 1/2 (I've only seen this sold through the Microsoft store, online and off) while the Capture is made for Surface RT. They have no plans to support the second generation Surface. There are other cases on the market with handles, but none are the "snap on" type. The fact that OP got a Surface RT for field work is actually an advantage if you want something like the Incipio Capture case.

Now, that said. Someone posted in my thread about those cases and verified that the Incipio Feather for Surface RT sort of fits the Surface 2 if you don't need the cameras or USB port (the case is probably too annoying to put on/take off regularly for the USB port, while I haven't even used my camera yet):

I bought the Incipio Feather case from Best Buy just to see if it would work on my Surface 2 and as posted previously the answer is worse than anyone suspected who hasn't tried it, the rear hole for the camera and sensors do not line up and also as stated previously the sensor holes are covered completely, also the USB 3.0 port does not align with the case and it covers it partially but being there is only a few thousanths of an inch difference between the Surface RT and Surface 2 the case does fit the surface 2 without any looseness and all other holes for volume ,on-off all seem to align, but for $26.00 US I was not willing to get out my Dremel and start modifying it so I returned it to Best Buy for a refund !

OP
ChemCat

ChemCat

I have way way better plans to protect my surface. Involves some creative thoughts. I will show you guys when I'm done with my contraption.

oion

I have way way better plans to protect my surface. Involves some creative thoughts. I will show you guys when I'm done with my contraption.

I smell another business possibility there. :p Good luck. Surface needs more creative people making stuff for it--there is one other guy making a minimalist wrap case too, through Kickstarter eventually, I believe.

OP
ChemCat

ChemCat

I smell another business possibility there. :p Good luck. Surface needs more creative people making stuff for it--there is one other guy making a minimalist wrap case too, through Kickstarter eventually, I believe.

Nah. Not a case. As my job sometimes require me to do inspections at construction sites, I need to carry with me a clipboard that is also a briefcase. I'll be using the surface during inspections, so I gotta figure out the best way to attach it to my thing and make it easily accessible while still keeping it safe.