What's new

Surface RT is a Step Forward!

Gigayojimboz

Yo!

Glad to join the forums here - looking forward to learning as much as I can about the Surface from this forum.

I'm a new Surface RT user (picked up a 32GB version with a Type cover over the weekend - both open items and both were no worse for wear) and I have to say that the machine is absolutely a step in the right direction. A tablet that has the ability to work like a PC in fundamental functions (Office, File Management, etc.), have the form factor that the Surface RT does, for 8 hrs on a single charge, is truly a feat.

I am more than happy with my purchase and all that it can do, and the things that it can't do is mostly remedied with remote desktop or splashtop. I tossed around the idea of picking up the Pro but, the RT won out on price and form (I was ok with the Pro's size but, not my wife).

Also, I'm a Window Phone 8 user - Black Lumia 920 - and I love it. Who cares if there aren't a billion apps in the store at this point - more than half of the apps in a store, whether it be Google Play or Apple's App Store, are poor quality anyway. Things are just going to get better from here.

The UI is fun and fast - I know what I need too in a simple scroll of my home screen. I'm really glad Microsoft is making the efforts that it is. I work in software and I am hopeful that I will someday I will get the chance to learn how to code for Windows Phone 8.

As a side note - I was sad about the demise of the Zune HD but, at least that paved the way for Windows Phone 8 (imho).

J515OP

Super Moderator
Congrats on your RT and welcome to the forum. You are now in the know about what a great device the Surface RT (and Pro) is. The more people that get their hands on these things, the more that are going to find out about them and want one :)

JP

RMansfield

Welcome! I just got a 32 GB Surface RT and TypeCover myself in the last month. I'm really enjoying mine, too.

kristalsoldier

Hi...I also got a 32GB RT (with a 64GB MicroSD card + a Wedge Mouse + a Type Cover) and I love it. I also share your sentiments in that the RT is - as compared to the Pro - the more futuristic machine.

Edit: Don't yet have a Win 8 Phone, but am eagerly waiting for the Black version of the Lumia 720!!!

HD_Dude

I have a Pro, but I really, really want to get an RT too.

Nothing wrong with having one of each, right?

And my daughter, who is not, and has never been a fan of tablets, really liked the RT.

I notice that the RT is holding its price point pretty well on eBay...new, the 64GB is $599. on eBay? Most are around $540. And that's 'sold...' not the asking price.

HD_Dude

Nothing wrong at all! But I am curious as to why you want the RT given that you already have the Pro?

Well, it's physical design is different as you know. Thinner, and lighter.

And it comes with free Office 2013, which is a huge asset.

Battery would probably get me coast-to-coast.

Don't care about a stylus, so that's fine too.

And yes, I have a Pro. But there are times I might want to just travel light.

Plus, since it isn't designed to run Windows 8 programs, there's a certain aura to it...like, a Spartan feel, or minimalist, a true tablet that isn't meant to replace anything...it just is what it is.

Starting to sound like a NYT art critic. Don't mean to.

I just like it!

compnovo

Plus, since it isn't designed to run Windows 8 programs, there's a certain aura to it...like, a Spartan feel, or minimalist, a true tablet that isn't meant to replace anything...it just is what it is.

I just like it!

You just described why I opted for the RT over the Pro.
Saving a few hundred bucks didn't hurt, either. :LOL:

kristalsoldier

I just like it!

Exactly, my sentiments!