What's new

Surface RT Jailbreak Release

ZachBui

1) Simply download the following zip file and extract/drag the folder onto your Desktop: RT Jailbreak-1.01.zip
2) Swipe from the right, and open the charms menu and click search
3) Search for powershell and toggle it to run as admin
4) Type the following without quotes into powershell to get the developer license for RT "Show-WindowsDeveloperLicenseRegistration"
5) Press enter and you will be prompted to press I agree, and enter your microsoft credentials to get the license.
6) Once you are done, go to the folder you extracted, and execute "runExploit.bat"
7) Follow the on-screen directions
8) Press R to execute the program, and then another Powershell may open, execute R again.
9) Wait a few seconds, and it will tell you when to press the volume button. When it does, hold the volume-down button until you see a message that you are jail-broken or when the bat exits.

Once Rebooted:

You just have to execute "runExploit.bat" so start from step 6 and wait until you see a message that tells you to do something

Q) I keep BSoD'ing! What's up? [From xda thread - Netham45]
A) I haven't managed to track down the cause of the BSoDs, except that they seem to happen when the exploit is ran within the first minute or so of the tablet booting and logging in. If you're getting BSoDs, boot your tablet to the desktop and wait 2 or 3 minutes before trying the exploit.

====
Notes* = Must be run after each reboot if you wish to run the desktop apps again.
*Use at your own risk

Credits & Source & FAQS [Netham45]
[Release] RT Jailbreak Tool - xda-developers

Released/Compiled Apps Thus Far: (Putty & TightVnc)
xda-developers - View Single Post - [Q] Hacking Windows RT to Run Desktop Apps?

(Notepad++, 7zip)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2092348

Last edited:

TeknoBlast

I'm sure lots of people have a good use to jail break devices, but I hate messing with my devices like this. You never know when it would brick and then you're out of the money because of it. Rather leave it the way it is and know that it runs well as it is.

bulls96

Could someone explain the benefits of jailbreaking the Surface?

Are there killer apps that are available only via jailbreak?

Can I install iTunes with it?

Moreover, can we install just about any .exe x86 apps with it?

THanks.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

J515OP

Super Moderator
It is early days. At the moment there is no advantage to jailbreaking Surface RT. Potential benefits include being able to install desktop apps ported to RT since currently nothing can be installed to desktop that ins't already there. This assumes that people will take the time to port desktop apps to RT and that MS won't close the hole which they have already acknowledged. If you are a tinkerer and would like to do it as an exercise and proof of concept by all means go ahead. For the average user there are currently no benefits. This is how homebrews get started though and eventually a developers community could popup around this.

JP

Sin

Could someone explain the benefits of jailbreaking the Surface?

Are there killer apps that are available only via jailbreak?

Can I install iTunes with it?

Moreover, can we install just about any .exe x86 apps with it?

THanks.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express
You can not install iTunes, that is unless Apple compiles it to run on ARM:eek:mg:. You can only run applications that are compiled to run on ARM. This exploit removes the need to have the application signed.

bosamar

I'm sure lots of people have a good use to jail break devices, but I hate messing with my devices like this. You never know when it would brick and then you're out of the money because of it. Rather leave it the way it is and know that it runs well as it is.

I agree, but I know many people who are so obsessed with doing things like that they never worry about a worse-case scenario.

MSurfaceWA

Right now it seems most useful for people with software development skills, as they are able to port some x86 apps to run on Arm, and then run them on the Surface. Only a handful of apps have been made available, and most are not what you would consider "consumer" apps. Hopefully in time, some more interesting apps may come along like a Chrome or Firefox browser, torrent client, etc...