What's new

Surface RT Jailbreak Release

MikeyT

So are there actually any disadvantages to jailbreaking?

I only really want it for Quake 2 and the flash fast-editing tool.

If anything went wrong with the device and it had to be returned, a simple restore would eliminate all evidence of the jailbreak wouldn't it?

oion

Now that this thread is necro'ed, I'll add that the jailbreak WAS very easy to use and completely safe as it was wiped upon reboot (not refresh).

Microsoft has since closed nearly all the loopholes in 8.1, however, so the XDA jailbreak no longer works.

oion

^--You people need to read dates.

To repeat:

The XDA Developers' Surface RT jailbreak tool does not work with Windows 8.1 because Microsoft closed virtually all the loopholes.

The ONLY way to use the XDA jailbreak now is if you have a first generation Surface RT that is not patched to 8.1 and DISABLE WINDOWS AUTO-UPDATE (this requires a registry tweak), which likely means any further performance and bug patches will be completely unavailable to RT v1 users--and real quality of life improvements like Outlook. Of course, that's then a decision based on whether the jailbreak ARM apps are more important than whatever 8.1 brings.

Obviously, the XDA jailbreak is impossible on the Surface 2.

Harri

^--You people need to read dates.

To repeat:

The XDA Developers' Surface RT jailbreak tool does not work with Windows 8.1 because Microsoft closed virtually all the loopholes.

The ONLY way to use the XDA jailbreak now is if you have a first generation Surface RT that is not patched to 8.1 and DISABLE WINDOWS AUTO-UPDATE (this requires a registry tweak), which likely means any further performance and bug patches will be completely unavailable to RT v1 users--and real quality of life improvements like Outlook. Of course, that's then a decision based on whether the jailbreak ARM apps are more important than whatever 8.1 brings.

Obviously, the XDA jailbreak is impossible on the Surface 2.

Oh yeah I got that, I was just including what they previously said, didn't notice 8.1 had came out today, sorry.

oion

Oh yeah I got that, I was just including what they previously said, didn't notice 8.1 had came out today, sorry.

I remember that press release, and various techies lauded MS for not immediately moving to clamp down on the hack (that actually surprised me). I was hoping the loopholes would remain open in 8.1, but I understand MS' position that they're still security holes, so...

Just making sure anyone who comes in looking for the jailbreak finds the latest info. XDA is working on it, but it doesn't look hopeful right now, really.