What's new

Surface RT Loses and does not see wifi network

Lindabb

Frequently when my Surface RT sleeps, it loses the wifi network connection and does not see any networks until I shutdown and restart. Takes a long time to shut down and when the surface restarts, a message is on the screen saying "your PC ran into a problem" Can this be corrected?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Welcome Lindabb. My first suggestion would be to make sure your router firmware is up to date and reset the router by unplugging it for a few seconds and then plugging it back in. If this helps your issue then you are all set if not, then it is only a couple of minutes wasted and we can move on to trying other things. What model is your wifi router and have you done all of the updates on your RT?

OP
L

Lindabb

My router is a Verizon dsl modem/router combo. I have restarted the router. Other wifi devices have no problem. I only lose connection and wifi availability when I wake the Surface from sleep. I have done all of the updates including new ones today

OP
L

Lindabb

I've done everything in the above replies except go to the Microsoft Store (I had to drive 1 1/2 hours to the closest Microsoft Store to buy my Surface) I am not using Verizon Fios, using regular Verizon DSL. All of my other wifi devices never have this problem. When wifi goes out, NO wifi networks show as available on the Surface RT. On my Windows phone and my laptop, I can see 5 of my neighbors wifi networks plus mine. Is my only solution to go to the Microsoft store??

J515OP

Super Moderator
Try a refresh first and if that doesn't work a reset. It sounds like there is definitely something wrong with your particular Surface rather than a general wide spread issue.

hbcondo

I have this same problem too after my Surface updated with the patches from April 9th. Like the OP, I have to reset my Surface to get wifi to work again but when I restart I get a BSOD. It's a big pain to use my Surface now b/c every time I resume from sleep, I have to perform a restart just to get wifi to work again. I tried refreshing my router but I'm still having the issues.