What's new

Surface RT message "wireless network security key is not correct" but it is

Jonohana

Just picked up a Surface RT.
When I try to connect to my home wireless network (Netgear WNR2000-100NAS) I get the message "the wireless network security key is not correct" even though it is. The router is configured to use WPA2 for the security protocol.
The router also has a WPS button and if I go that route I can connect with no problem. I just don't want this to be my default security because of the inherent flaws.

Tried connecting at work. Another wireless router using WPA2. Linksys EA2700. Same problem..same error message. This router also has an open guest network that is password protected and the Surface connects just fine to that one.

Has anyone experienced this problem and figured out a solution?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Last edited:

CrippsCorner

Don't know about Surface RT but does your SSID have any non-standard characters? This caused an issue when tethering my Surface Pro to my iPhone...

OP
J

Jonohana

Don't know about Surface RT but does your SSID have any non-standard characters? This caused an issue when tethering my Surface Pro to my iPhone...

My SSID has no nonstandard characters but my passwords do. Perhaps i will try changing that at home. I am out of luck at work however since I cannot change that password.

OP
J

Jonohana

My SSID has no nonstandard characters but my passwords do. Perhaps i will try changing that at home. I am out of luck at work however since I cannot change that password.

I have spoken with Microsoft Surface chat support and discovered that there is a known problem with the Surface RT and its ability to connect to Wireless N networks particularly those using WPA2 security protocols. I was told that an update was coming out on 2/11/2014. Unfortunately the update for the network adapter driver was only for the Surface Pro. So here I am still waiting and unable to connect to my corporate network.

TedBundo

I know that this thread is old.... but so am I. I'm having similar problems with my surface. Seems like a wireless network security issue but I can't figure it out. I think I might get rid of all my technology except for my Jitterbug flip phone, never fails me.