What's new

Surface RT No Longer charges

Rallicat

This is likely going to end up being a warranty issue, but I thought I would ask if anyone else had encountered this issue.

Last night, I plugged my Surface RT into it's charger, and noticed the light did not come on. I tried re-seating the connector, no joy. Tried a spare charger - still no joy. I checked the battery system tray, and it still showed as being on battery - even stranger, it showed 100% battery despite having being turned on all day, and been used for Skype chats quite a bit in the evening.

Upon restarting the device, it now won't boot - I get the Surface splash screen for a moment, then the white circle with the low battery icon .. then it powers itself back off. Won't charge - nothing.

Given neither of my chargers are working, it seems to be a battery or charger circuit failure. Anyone encountered this before?

--
RC

OP
R

Rallicat

Sent my Surface back to Microsoft for repair or replacement. Will let you know how things go with my support experience.

So far, Good: not having to phone anyone and go through a scripted support process to submit the item under warranty. Bad: Having to buy my own shipping packaging and drop the item off myself - here in the UK at least, collection of the item was not an option.

Here's hoping for a speedy turnaround!
--
RC

OP
R

Rallicat

Well, the turnaround was pretty fast. I dropped it off for shipment to the repair centre Saturday - which meant it didn't really start moving until Monday. The faulty unit arrived at the repair centre Tuesday, and the replacement was sent out the same day! The new one arrived Wednesday morning! I consider that to be a pretty good turnaround and am overall very impressed!

Problem solved!

kristalsoldier

Well, the turnaround was pretty fast. I dropped it off for shipment to the repair centre Saturday - which meant it didn't really start moving until Monday. The faulty unit arrived at the repair centre Tuesday, and the replacement was sent out the same day! The new one arrived Wednesday morning! I consider that to be a pretty good turnaround and am overall very impressed!

Problem solved!

Just out of curiosity, did they ship you a new replacement or was it refurbed or was it your original one which was fixed and sent back?

Batman8318

Just out of curiosity, did they ship you a new replacement or was it refurbed or was it your original one which was fixed and sent back?

That's were they get you...More than Rallicats internal battery died and rather than replace a $70 battery they charge you $200 for a replacement... What they will now do with her device is replace the battery and sell it as a replacement to someone else who had the same thing happen...lol Its a racket because they don't give you a new device, they give you a used one with a new battery. Mine did the same thing and I am replacing the battery myself because if you send it in all of your data is gone and you don't get the one you sent back in anyway...So do the work yourself and save a lot of money.. For $70 you can have a better battery and you don't have to pay $200 which is almost the price of a new one! At least this way you get to keep your tablet and not some other persons defective unit...

Last edited:

petevick

That's were they get you...More than Rallicats internal battery died and rather than replace a $70 battery they charge you $200 for a replacement... What they will now do with her device is replace the battery and sell it as a replacement to someone else who had the same thing happen...lol Its a racket because they don't give you a new device, they give you a used one with a new battery. Mine did the same thing and I am replacing the battery myself because if you send it in all of your data is gone and you don't get the one you sent back in anyway...So do the work yourself and save a lot of money.. For $70 you can have a better battery and you don't have to pay $200 which is almost the price of a new one! At least this way you get to keep your tablet and not some other persons defective unit...
Hi,
experiencing the same thing - attach the charger, light flickers and goes out - did replacing the battery work for you?

Thanks