What's new

Surface RT Office compatibility with Office 2007

zjm

Can anyone comment about the compatibility of office 2013 on RT w/ Office 2007.

Will I be able to open documents created on the Surface using office 2007 w/o a bunch of issues? Many thanks if you can try it for me. It's pretty much a gamebreaker for me and would prefer not to have to buy the device and return if it doesn't work well.

Thanks.

OP
Z

zjm

Thanks for the response. Will Office 2007 open the files I create on the surface w/ 2013?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Generally you have the option in newer Office versions to save the file as an older version so that it is compatible with older Office versions. You also typically have the option of downloading a patch from MS that let's you view newer Office files from an older version of Office. Other than specific features that have been implemented in later versions of you shouldn't have issues.

For example if you are trying to open an Excel 2007 in Office XP, the conditional formatting features of Excel 2007 will not be available in the Office XP version so you may loose functionality going backwards.

Last edited:

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
Aw: Surface RT Office compatibility with Office 2007

Since the new standards where introduced with 2007, I think it should do, but I'm not 100% sure.

leeshor

Since the new standards where introduced with 2007, I think it should do, but I'm not 100% sure.

You are 100% correct. It would still be able to be opened in 2003 or earlier of the necessary File Translation program from Microsoft was install on the system but since the question was re: 2007, no problem.