What's new

Surface RT suddenly stopped charging and won't power up

evoqONE

Have a Surface RT that doesn't seem to be responding to depressing the on/off switch. Mine displays the boot -up surface screen and then the battery status (with 1 bar) and then goes dark. The last time this RT was used was to do the most recent windows updates. Not exactly sure what may be going on?? I have two chargers and have attempted to connect with each one and the result is the same. Also, once seated correctly I do not get white indicator light on the charger to illuminate. Would appreciate any knowledge or ideas from anyone that might shed some light on this issue??? Thanks in advance!

JWNR

Having a similar issue. Have to keep pressing power button for a long time and finally it powers up. Then have to wait another long wait until the surface becomes operable.
This only started in the last few weeks.
Have been using this surface for almost 2 years and this is the first problem.
Anyone else? Any solutions or answers?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
While plugged in, hold Volume Rocker Down and Press the Power Button and see if it powers up...

GazzaLee

jnjroach - I am having a similar issue in that I can not get my Surface RT to power on, I tried the hold volume down and press the power button, do you have another suggestion?

Thanks for your help.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
jnjroach - I am having a similar issue in that I can not get my Surface RT to power on, I tried the hold volume down and press the power button, do you have another suggestion?

Thanks for your help.
Make sure its plugged in, hold the power button down for 30 seconds and let go, if it didn't power up wait 10 seconds hold the volume rocker down and press the power button quickly and let go while holding the volume rocker down, if the Surface logo doesn't appear at that point call Service...