What's new

Surface RT + Type 2 Cover --> device sleeps when cover folded in back

1080ski

Hi all,

I just picked up a Surface RT + Type 2 Cover and love them both. The only problem I am having is that when the cover is attached but folded around back (IE, 180 degrees difference from the closed position, my device goes to sleep. It happens 100% of the time, but doesn't always happen immediately. It always happens, though, within 30 seconds or so.

Is this a known problem? If so, is there a solution? Is this expected to occur w/ the original Type Cover? Any suggestions on how to fix it?

beman39

that doesn't happen on mine, maybe you have the power sleep settings set to 30 seconds or something on battery? try looking there to set it for longer...

oion

that doesn't happen on mine, maybe you have the power sleep settings set to 30 seconds or something on battery? try looking there to set it for longer...

No, power settings can't be set for less than a minute.

@OP:

A few possibilities, though this is the first time I've heard of that particular behavior. Have you tried removing the keyboard and putting it on backwards, instead of just folding it backwards? Are you perhaps hitting the power button by accident while holding in tablet mode, which probably puts it to sleep? Otherwise, that's not normal and could point to a faulty Type.

OP

1080ski

No, power settings can't be set for less than a minute.

@OP:

A few possibilities, though this is the first time I've heard of that particular behavior. Have you tried removing the keyboard and putting it on backwards, instead of just folding it backwards? Are you perhaps hitting the power button by accident while holding in tablet mode, which probably puts it to sleep? Otherwise, that's not normal and could point to a faulty Type.

The cover works (after the most recent firmware update) if I put it on backwards. I just re-tested with it on forwards (but folded) and left it sitting on a desk. It apparently is just not working correctly. I want to get this checked out -- can you please explain to me why you think this is a faulty Type 2 Cover and not a faulty RT?

oion

The cover works (after the most recent firmware update) if I put it on backwards. I just re-tested with it on forwards (but folded) and left it sitting on a desk. It apparently is just not working correctly. I want to get this checked out -- can you please explain to me why you think this is a faulty Type 2 Cover and not a faulty RT?

What I meant was put it on backwards and fold it so while holding the RT in tablet mode, you feel the flat backing of the keyboard instead of the keys. This is a fairly common way others have used their covers with Surfaces.

As far as I understand it, the keyboard covers contain not only the key mechanisms but a hardware switch that responds to being folded backwards--the switch, possibly in conjunction with software/firmware on the RT side, turns off the keys so keypresses aren't registered when you fold the cover backwards into tablet mode. That's not to say it's impossible that the RT itself is having problems, but if there's an RT-side malfunction, it doesn't seem to be hardware-based when the triggering mechanism is located on the keyboard. Or something else could be going on, of course. (Maybe someone with a first gen Surface RT and new Type 2 can verify.)

There's a different power setting that you can try out: "Choose what closing the lid does" > Do nothing.

What's odd is that you said it doesn't happen immediately all the time, which is why I also suggested you might be accidentally hitting the power button, which by default is set to sleep.

CHAMBLIS

Solved using low tech LRF technology.
The problem: Surface rt going to sleep when the touch cover is folded back..

I figured it had something to do with the little magnetic sensor that normally tells Surface to sleep when the cover is closed normally over the front. I figured it was sensing that same magnet when it was folded back

I got two tiny little rubber feet (LRF) and attached them to the outside edge, one right over the magnetic disk. It keeps the disk that's embedded in the cover from getting close enough to trigger sleep mode. Got them at Michael's in the framing department. They are tiny 1/8" and clear and used on the bottom of picture frames to prevent scrapes on the wall.

Not a single false sleep since.

richs121

Solved using low tech LRF technology.
The problem: Surface rt going to sleep when the touch cover is folded back..

I figured it had something to do with the little magnetic sensor that normally tells Surface to sleep when the cover is closed normally over the front. I figured it was sensing that same magnet when it was folded back

I got two tiny little rubber feet (LRF) and attached them to the outside edge, one right over the magnetic disk. It keeps the disk that's embedded in the cover from getting close enough to trigger sleep mode. Got them at Michael's in the framing department. They are tiny 1/8" and clear and used on the bottom of picture frames to prevent scrapes on the wall.

Not a single false sleep since.

I have the same problem with my Surface RT 32GB. With the Touch cover 2 folded back, the display turns off. My daughter has the identical Surface and it does not turn off. I also experimented with putting sticky tabs on the back and it works sometimes but has turned off on occasion. I am going to bring it to a Microsoft store today to see if they can resolve it.

Last edited:

richs121

Some more information, I set "Choose what closing the lid does" > Do nothing, and this does disable the the lid from putting the display to sleep when closed the normal way. However, when folded back in tablet mode, the screen continues to turn off.

I also have a Surface 2 at work with Type cover 2 and another surface RT with touch cover 1 at home I experimented:

Surface RT with Touch cover 2 = sleep when folded back

Surface RT with Type cover 2 = no sleep when folded back

Surface RT with Touch cover 1 = no sleep when folded back

Surface Pro 2 = works with all covers

cskalski

Hey, I am new here, so hello!

I just added the type 2 cover to my Surface 32 and only the mouse, speaker volume, and keyboard backlight level worked. I tried everything, before following Microsoft's last resort option of doing a system refresh. Totally glad I did. It now works perfect. Maybe this will also help you with the sleep issue.

It kept all my settings (relatively). I assume the firmware was updated during the refresh.

Oh, BTW...I got the backlit, dark purple type cover 2 for $79 on e-bay, (open box but never used). I was so bummed when it didn't work... saying "you get what you pay for". So, I was really REALLY relieved when she started working. LOL.

-Chris

Last edited: