What's new

Surface RT voice recognition

ArnoldC

First and foremost, this is not new to Windows. Remember Naturally Speaking? Anyway, I've been using the voice capabilities for a while now, my officemates think I'm crazy, saying "Open Word", "Blank document", "select paragraph", "delete paragraph", "close that", "Search","Applications", "Start" and various other voice commands and dictations.

Try this feature. You may like it. <- entered via voice dictation ;)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Voice input is something I have been trying to get use to on my Android devices. Despite being touted as a "natural" form of input a lifetime of training towards other forms of input still makes it very unnatural and something I have to think about.

Having tried voice input on Windows in the past I find that far more cumbersome and with a steeper learning curve than the mobile uses. It is easier to say "what's the weather" or "call Bill Gates" than issue Windows commands. Though dictating documents instead of typing I can see using as the voice recognition has gotten better.

OP
ArnoldC

ArnoldC

How do you activate the voice features?

From the Start screen, type Start Speech, when the Search bar appears, touch Settings, select Start Speech Recognition. It is a wizard, so go with the flow until setup is complete.

ps.

On a side note, I love TellMe on my Windows Phone.

bobby.e

From the Start screen, type Start Speech, when the Search bar appears, touch Settings, select Start Speech Recognition. It is a wizard, so go with the flow until setup is complete.

ps.

On a side note, I love TellMe on my Windows Phone.

You have to do that every time? That seems like a lot of work.

OP
ArnoldC

ArnoldC

It's a wizard to setup. After,setup, all you have do is say "start listening"
Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Board Express