What's new

Surface RT - WiFi - 2.4 and 5?

Sejanus

Hi all

I cannot find this information anywhere. What will be the frequency for the wifi's. Is 5ghz supported. I am assuming the answer is no because many comparisons between the Surface RT and other devices state they have 5ghz support (Note 800 etc) and whilst the spec sheets do state it has powerful wifi connectivity supporting a/b/g/n nowhere is it confirmed that it will support this.

I have pre-ordered 2 devices, but being a technical adviser for a college i am looking at purchasing these instead of Ipads. However we need 5ghz wireless.

Thanks for reply

Sej

J515OP

Super Moderator
MS has been tight lipped about many of the detailed specs. Personally I doubt if it will support 5GHz wifi. That is in very few devices at this point and the ones that do have it make a point of mentioning it. Not that no mention means it is excluded since MS has just been generally vague about the specs but I don't see being it in the this generation of Surface tablets.

Max

MS has been tight lipped about many of the detailed specs. Personally I doubt if it will support 5GHz wifi. That is in very few devices at this point and the ones that do have it make a point of mentioning it. Not that no mention means it is excluded since MS has just been generally vague about the specs but I don't see being it in the this generation of Surface tablets.

I have a Surface RT and it definitely DOES support 5Ghz.

J515OP

Super Moderator
I have a Surface RT and it definitely DOES support 5Ghz.

Yes, I was very pleasantly surprised to see this in the official reviews in the couple of days before launch and verified here. Good job on this item MS :D