What's new

Surface RT wifi connection issue

JWNR

I think this is a bit of an over simplification of the issue. Android devices have had similar issues with wifi. The problem is MS can't possibly test every router configuration and some issues may be related to the Surface wifi software while others may be related to a user's setup. Sometimes it takes being in the wild to get enough information to correct the issue. One of the first things users experiencing wifi issues should try is a reboot of the wireless router and update of the wireless router firmware regardless of whether or not other devices are working on the wifi.

MS does appear to be aware of the issue:

Microsoft Surface users complain about Wi-Fi problems - Computerworld

MS moderator responded on 11/5, that's more than 2 weeks ago. no further response or resolution. i guess they wanted all the 14 day returns to expire.

pbankey

Microsoft releases patches on the second Tuesday of each month, aka "Patch Tuesday". This is so developers, administrators, and users can anticipate and plan for updates. I am willing to bet that they release a fix for this and other things at that time.

bosamar

Neither my wife nor I have a problem with our wifi connection. For what it's worth here are our settings:

Router: Verizon FiOS MI424WR (75/35 Mbps)
Connection Type: DHCP

Wireless Status

Radio Enabled: YES
SSID: XXXXX
Channel: Automatic
Security Enabled: YES
WEP 64-bit: XXXXXXXXXX
WEP 802.1x: N/A
WPA: N/A
SSID Broadcast: Enabled
MAC Authentication: Disabled
Wireless Mode: Mixed accepts 802.11b and 802.11g connections
Received Packets: 197499717
Sent Packets: 321085430

JWNR

it would be nice if they told us to expect the fix for this on 12/11, which is still almost 3 weeks away. I guess they missed the last "patch Tuesday".
what are we supposed to do with this thing until 12/11, when we might get a patch? totally useless without wifi.

J515OP

Super Moderator
it would be nice if they told us to expect the fix for this on 12/11, which is still almost 3 weeks away. I guess they missed the last "patch Tuesday".
what are we supposed to do with this thing until 12/11, when we might get a patch? totally useless without wifi.

Well you shouldn't have no wifi. Have you tried resetting your router by powering it all the way off (unplugging it) and back on? Have you looked to see if there is updated firmware for your router?

mdanehart

Same issue here. I am in a Mall trying to connect to my Android phone via Foxfi and no happiness. I never had any issues with the previous Android tablets or the IPad!

My patience is growing thin....any suggestions before I pay a visit to the Microsoft kiosk store before Monday?

leeshor

Not connecting to Foxfi is probably an OS problem. I would wait for the next update. Surface is still very new and Microsoft is still working out the wrinkles.

JWNR

why should I reset my router, when it works on every other device I have in the house; 2 pc, wp and iphone.

mdanehart

Ironically I returned the IPad 4 just a few days ago, I never checked the Foxfi / Android on this device, I made an assumption that the Surface would not have a connection issue with this mode.

I need a portable / mobile device without issues and headaches.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Because every device is unique in its implementation, When I replaced my Router to support 801.11N it didn't support the Xbox's Wireless Card, it was fixed with a firmware upgrade by the manufacturer. This may or may not be an issue with the Surface's hardware or an incompatibility with some older routers' firmware implementation.