What's new

Surface RT wifi connection issue

Hans

Ironically I returned the IPad 4 just a few days ago, I never checked the Foxfi / Android on this device, I made an assumption that the Surface would not have a connection issue with this mode.

I need a portable / mobile device without issues and headaches.

May I suggest you spend some extra money for your personal tech assistant then? That is the only way you will ever find that.

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
Aw: Surface RT wifi connection issue

Maybe just check your wifi's/tethering-id. Some user reported problems with connecting, when the ssid contains some special characters. Rebooting router is always a good idea, even if every other device is working.

leeshor

why should I reset my router, when it works on every other device I have in the house; 2 pc, wp and iphone.

Resetting the router would certainly be an easy way to find out if that's the problem. As has been pointed out, every devices has its own implementation of WiFi and they use different chipsets. Just because 8 devices work doesn't mean the 9th will.

Xcel

When this is happening with different routers and all other devices work with said routers, this a Surface problem not a router problem. Bug MS, not your router manufacturer.

mdanehart

Here is my story. The Surface did not connect at the mall on my Android as stated. Last evening I did the system refresh and reinstalled the 11 updates and the Surface connected to my Android phone via FoxFi. The device worked fine this morning on my home network and FoxFi! I just navigated to the windows update to download the updates from November 13, 2012. After this update my Surface will connect to my home router but NOT the Android phone. Bummer.

leeshor

Fix one and break another. I get a monthly list of suggestions on which patches not to install on Windows for that reason, in part.

JWNR

Has there been any update or resolution to the "limited" wifi issue? haven't seen any recent post here. has everyone just given up?

BillJ

This is an odd phenomenon- I have gotten "limited" Wi-Fi errors on several of my devices on my home network over the past month, including on my Asus Zenbook and my wife's Toshiba ultrabook. It has also occurred on my Surface, but not within the past 2 weeks. Everything seems to be working fine now. I don't know, was something fixed?

J515OP

Super Moderator
This is an odd phenomenon- I have gotten "limited" Wi-Fi errors on several of my devices on my home network over the past month, including on my Asus Zenbook and my wife's Toshiba ultrabook. It has also occurred on my Surface, but not within the past 2 weeks. Everything seems to be working fine now. I don't know, was something fixed?

It can't be said enough and people for some reason seem to refuse to do the basic steps. Make sure your firmware is up to date. Unplug the wifi router for 30 seconds or so and then plug it back in. Just like anything else you need to make sure you are up to date and reboot on occasion to keep things running smoothly. These are the two easiest steps to resolve the majority of people's limited connectivity issues.

In your particular case it is possible your router powered down and restarted clearing the issue.

JWNR

obviously you have not read the over 3000 entries to this thread. the problem with "limited" wifi on the Surface RT has not been resolved. and yes I rebooted all my modems and routers and the problem still exists with MS, who remain silent on this issue.

J515OP

Super Moderator
obviously you have not read the over 3000 entries to this thread. the problem with "limited" wifi on the Surface RT has not been resolved. and yes I rebooted all my modems and routers and the problem still exists with MS, who remain silent on this issue.

Actually I have read every single entry in this thread. You always have to start with the simple things and move on from there. I am not sure how MS is responsible for
"limited" Wi-Fi errors on several of my devices on my home network over the past month, including on my Asus Zenbook and my wife's Toshiba ultrabook.
in BillJ's case but if you say so, I am sure you are correct.

The general advice still stands. Start with the router and modem and trouble shoot from there. Say you have both the router issue and the Surface wifi issue and MS pushes the fix. How do you know if you had a faulty update or bad hardware if you don't also try correcting the router which may still be a problem even after an MS fix? Yes the Surface does have a wifi issue that is more problematic for some than others. (I was one of the first to acknowledge a potential issue with the Surface itself here http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...ral-discussion/2051-public-wifi.html#post6867.)

I have seen this issue with all manner of devices regardless of brand or OS. You know why? Because it is frequently a router issue and not the devices themselves. Instead of simply correcting the issue many people insist there is nothing wrong because other devices on the network pick up the wifi just fine. That happens to be the very nature of the problem some devices will work and some won't and sometimes the same device will both work and not work at times. Don't discount the possibility of a router issue for 30 seconds of work. They need to be cycled periodically anyway, just like most devices.

I understand you are frustrated that your Surface's wifi connection isn't working. Hopefully it is simply a software issue and MS will correct it. There is always the possibility that it is a hardware issue and in that case you may just be out of luck (https://www.google.com/search?q=asu...sugexp=chrome,mod=18&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8). That's the way it goes with new hardware sometimes.

JP

Last edited: