What's new

Surface Screen Angle

Does the kickstand angle allow you to see and use the screen?

• Yes I can see and use the screen just fine.

Votes: 42 89.4%
  • No the angle causes viewing and use issues and makes no sense.

Votes: 5 10.6%

• Total voters

mitchellvii

I am assuming you are not proportionally built then. You either have short arms or a long torso/neck. Your arm span should be approximately your height which should put the Surface at the same relative distance and angle as a shorter person with shorter arms ;)

View attachment 735

https://www.google.com/search?q=tal...or.r_qf.&fp=6ba00388e7aef2a9&biw=1200&bih=963

Lol, you are one of those rare individuals where I honestly never agree with anything you say, ever.

Nevertheless, think about your comment. If I am 6'5" and if I put the Surface at the same relative distance from me as a short person I WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO READ THE SCREEN. I said I'm tall, not that I have super-vision. Lol. Try putting your Surface 6 inches further away and tell me if you can still read the text.

OP
J515OP

J515OP

Super Moderator
Lol, you are one of those rare individuals where I honestly never agree with anything you say, ever.

Nevertheless, think about your comment. If I am 6'5" and if I put the Surface at the same relative distance from me as a short person I WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO READ THE SCREEN. I said I'm tall, not that I have super-vision. Lol. Try putting your Surface 6 inches further away and tell me if you can still read the text.

Well if I did that I wouldn't be able to reach it. Kind of pointless on a touch device :p How do you see all those jaggies without eagle eyes? Maybe pushing the screen a little further away is a solution to that as well. I guess you also just found a use for that 150% scaling option ;)

All joking aside you should still be able to read the screen. I can stand above the Surface with the keyboard touching my waist (the width of the keyboard in front of me) and still make use of the screen. An adjustable kickstand would make little difference since at this angle I am looking nearly straight down and would have neck issues long before the screen not directly facing me became an issue.

You are in the very top percentile of the height distribution so it would not make sense to design for less than 1% of the users. I don't know how you can seriously expect a design just for your personal needs in that case. As a very tall person you should be accustomed to making special accommodations for such things and I don't know why the Surface should be any different than shoes, doors, car seats, etc. It may suck but I am sure being tall has its own advantages that make up for it. You seem to have found a very nice solution in a top notch adjustable angle case and that should be enough.

tonyz3

tall-short.jpgOk guys lets shake on it.

mitchellvii

I know that "options" has become an increasingly dirty word at MS since 2003 but I just want options in how I adjust the kickstand. Despite the sycophantic response to this poll, reading reaction across the web there are quite a lot of people unhappy with the kickstand angle.

tonyz3

Just because there are a few loud mouths across the web doesn't mean that it's the consensus

OP
J515OP

J515OP

Super Moderator
I know that "options" has become an increasingly dirty word at MS since 2003 but I just want options in how I adjust the kickstand. Despite the sycophantic response to this poll, reading reaction across the web there are quite a lot of people unhappy with the kickstand angle.

It just depends on how you look at it. MS gives Surface users the option of using a non-adjustable angle kickstand. That it more than the majority of other tablets which do not have an optional kickstand of any type :)

mitchellvii

It just depends on how you look at it. MS gives Surface users the option of using a non-adjustable angle kickstand. That it more than the majority of other tablets which do not have an optional kickstand of any type :)

All of the tablets competing at the SP price point have attachable keyboards which function as adjustable stands. So SP resides alone as the only single-angle option alternative.

riggi

All of the tablets competing at the SP price point have attachable keyboards which function as adjustable stands. So SP resides alone as the only single-angle option alternative.

When I was looking at getting the SP, the two other devices with similar specs and price point were the Sony Vaio Duo 11 and the Samsung ATIV 700.

The Sony is a fixed angle screen.

The ATIV does have some adjustment, but many reviews said that moving the screen often caused the connection between the keyboard to disconnect and reconnect again.
It may not impact your typing (unless you are typing and moving the screen at the same time), but if you have anything connected to the USB ports in the keyboard base, then it could be a problem.
That was one of the reasons I didn't go with the Samsung.

tonyz3

When I was looking at getting the SP, the two other devices with similar specs and price point were the Sony Vaio Duo 11 and the Samsung ATIV 700.

The Sony is a fixed angle screen.

The ATIV does have some adjustment, but many reviews said that moving the screen often caused the connection between the keyboard to disconnect and reconnect again.
It may not impact your typing (unless you are typing and moving the screen at the same time), but if you have anything connected to the USB ports in the keyboard base, then it could be a problem.
That was one of the reasons I didn't go with the Samsung.
yep i looked at both of these as well and in addition to your comments Both Sammy's 500 and 700 were top heavy - would fall over easy. As well as bad connection to the KB. Even the Fujitz i had and upgraded to Win 8 had an additional battery in the dock and still was top heavy when you past a certain angle.

riggi

For those complaining about the fixed screen angle, the Aspire R7 should satisfy you... Not quite as portable though...

[video=youtube;RZu6QQIqcpU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZu6QQIqcpU[/video]

Last edited: