What's new

Surface Shuts Down When Keyboard is Detatched

psnative

Sometimes when I detach my old original keyboard, it shuts down. Occasionally I have to do a hard start to get it going again. Anyone else experience this?

grumpy

Damn, I just experienced this with my Type Cover 2. I don't use it too frequently, but this was the first time it happened. I just restarted (instead of shutdown) when I removed the TC 2. Ironically, it occurred right after composing a lengthy rant about my other SP2 difficulties...

Last edited:

GoodBytes

Damn, I just experienced this with my Type Cover 2. I don't use it too frequently, but this was the first time it happened. I just restarted (instead of shutdown) when I removed the TC 2. Ironically, it occurred right after composing a lengthy rant about my other SP2 difficulties...

Your rants makes you unworthy of using the Surface Pro 2 :p
just kidding, of course :)

In all seriousness, The TC2 cover does that if the contacts are dirty on both the keyboard or on the device itself, or if it is not properly connected.
It's definitely a short that makes the device turns off. I don't believe there is a possible fix other a redesign of the affected circuit area (or the entire board in the case of the Surface Pro 2 as things are so compact), to fix this.
As the Surface Pro 3 has done so, due to the new form factor, it is probably fixed on it, but time will tell (although they did redesign the system board from the Pro 1 to the Pro 2)

These are the little things that shows that Microsoft needs more experience, and only time will fix those. I can't wait for the SP4 or SP5, where things should be greatly polished. And the reason why I am not too mad about those little quirks, is that Microsoft does show time and time again with the Surface line that they aim at making it all perfect. They don't go like other OEMs, and just go "Oh well, too bad... live with the flaw in all of our products and products to come, until we see it actually affects sales or reach the media"
However, I think we can all agree that for a company that never done something like this before, its pretty darn impressive. Usually, it's a total disaster.

Anyway,
Make sure that the contacts are clean on both the keyboard and device. Use ~60% rubbing alcohol with a quality swab that doesn't leave cotton behind as you clean, and swamp all contacts, and on your way, make sure that the reset of the slot if clean.
That should fix your problem.

When the keyboard is attached, I did notice a wiggle of 1-2mm from left to right, but hard to slide, due to the strong magnets, but possible to do. It could be that this has happened to you, and that shorted the device.

Last edited:

grumpy

Your rants makes you unworthy of using the Surface Pro 2 :p
just kidding, of course :)
I don't think that I have had many rants - perhaps you are confusing me with macmee...:wink:
Of course, my last rant was rather epic... I don't know of it makes me unworthy of an SP2, but it definitely makes me unworthy of an SP3 - or rather the SP3 is unworthy of ME! :LOL:
In all seriousness, The TC2 cover does that if the contacts are dirty on both the keyboard or on the device itself, or if it is not properly connected.
It's definitely a short that makes the device turns off. I don't believe there is a possible fix other a redesign of the affected circuit area (or the entire board in the case of the Surface Pro 2 as things are so compact), to fix this.
I can certainly see how intermittent contact caused by dirty contacts could cause problems during usage. My problem occurred during removal of the keyboard. I suppose the contacts could have shorted when I removed the TC2. I am actually careful about trying to pull it straight off to avoid such a predicament.

My first thought was that it was possibly the result of the last update since this was the first time I used the TC2 since the update. I have never experienced this with my SP1/TC1 (and my TC1 saw considerably more use than my TC2) and this was the first occurrence with SP2/TC2. I performed a couple of attach/detach cycles since with no major issues. One time the trackpad gestures failed to work until I reattached the TC2.

And the reason why I am not too mad about those little quirks, is that Microsoft does show time and time again with the Surface line that they aim at making it all perfect. They don't go like other OEMs, and just go "Oh well, too bad... live with the flaw in all of our products and products to come, until we see it actually affects sales or reach the media"
Oh really... They certainly took their sweet time fixing the SD card/CPU usage problem. It was released just weeks prior to the SP3 release - likely because they want a smooth SP3 release
However, I think we can all agree that for a company that never done something like this before, its pretty darn impressive. Usually, it's a total disaster.
I was pleasantly surprised by the SP1 which is why I bought into the SP2. The SP2 has been a definite step backwards in terms of quality. My experience with the SP2 and MS support has seriously shaken my confidence in MS hardware.

Last edited: