What's new

Surface Space shrinking.......

GreatWindows

So yeah I got my Surgace 32GB on Saturday and right now I am at 9.98GB out of 24.9GB..........So far each day the GBs have gone lower and lower without me even installing anything, is that normal? lol......

J515OP

Super Moderator
Here is what I have noticed by running regular disk clean ups and keeping an eye on what you have just reported and others have stated. Every so often I notice a multiple (4-6) GB file. The file description is an error log. So there seems to be a runaway process in the error log. Simply running disk cleanup (and sometimes rebooting) seems to recover the space. More than likely the system tries to email home base but the file is too large so it fails and then sits there waiting to be reported and failing.

Screenshot14.png

OP
GreatWindows

GreatWindows

Here is what I have noticed by running regular disk clean ups and keeping an eye on what you have just reported and others have stated. Every so often I notice a multiple (4-6) GB file. The file description is an error log. So there seems to be a runaway process in the error log. Simply running disk cleanup (and sometimes rebooting) seems to recover the space. More than likely the system tries to email home base but the file is too large so it fails and then sits there waiting to be reported and failing.

Screenshot14.png

Hmm thats interesting, ill try that and get back to you :D I have a question, would you recommend deleting the recovery partition? i heard that you get back like 4GB if you do.

J515OP

Super Moderator
I'd only recommend it if you are comfortable in such things. You can make a bootable USB for recovery instead (or more than one as insurance) but I would say it isn't for the average person.

If you find yourself running short of space I suggest trying to reorganize around the could, sd card and usb options. If you are not use to them they may seem a little strange at first but most of us can off load so much that we don't physically need instant access to. Have many pictures? Open a fickr, picasa or photobucket account (or all of them) and save your pictures there. Files and documents? Skydrive, box, dropbox, google drive and Mega are all leaders in clud storage. Music? How about Google and Amazon's options? The point is most of us can access the web these days and keeping things in the cloud can free up a lot of drive space.

Many of us also have large USB drives and many usb sticks. If the cloud isn't an option in certain cases you can easily use these for physical access. You can have a TB back up drive or three 32GB sticks for pics, music and docs. Just pick and choose what works for you.

Of course there is the micro sd card slot for anything that needs to stay permanently on your Surface. Pop one of these in and keep everything non-system on it. That should give you lots internal space to work with for apps. A great solution if you just want the Surface to have more space readily available.

The Surface is about as flexible as it gets when it comes to tablet storage solutions. Play around a little and find what works for you. That may even include removing recovery from the internal memory :D

JP

bosamar

One would think that Microsoft would do a better job of integrating Skydrive for the Surface.... offer all owners 32/64 GB etc. IMO Skydrive is useable now but could be vastly improved.

SopranoSV

Screenshot14.png

Thanks a lot for the info...but now, what information is being gathered? I've had mine since December 5th and that "error report" is noly 4MB...

J515OP

Super Moderator
I have no idea since I haven't actually looked. I am content to simply delete and clear up the free space ;) Maybe next time I will take a look and possibly send a bug report to MS. It doesn't happen all the time but periodically. If you suddenly see GBs go missing it is the first thing I would check. It could even be a rouge app causing this particular problem so unless you have that app it may not happen. No way to know until I take a look.

ZachBui

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

if you navigate there, and delete the contents, a lot of software packages/updates accumulates there. Sometimes the disk cleanup doesn't do the job