What's new

Surface Tweak Tool for Surface Pro 2 - Release!

OP
G

GoodBytes

Then I'll wait for your tool. Btw, this screen flickering issue is not seen when its plugged in.
Yup. Only on battery. I don't know what is the obsession for Microsoft to turn it on by default, let alone remove the Intel Graphics Control Panel.

dezmenn

im thinking the option to configure graphics control panel will significantly affect the battery life. That is why microsoft removes it.

OP
G

GoodBytes

While I only tested it on my Surface Pro 2, I haven't seen any battery life difference.
In real world, I GAINED battery life, as I used to increase my screen brightness as it dimmed the colors on dark screen to compensate.

I bet you the feature was supposed to work on reverse, but it one of those Intel bugs that will never be fixed.
Where on dark screen, it will boost colors and increase contrast so that you don't need to increase the screen brightness. Now, THAT would make sense. I think it would still be annoying, but at least it would make sense. This is what Nintendo does on its DS and 3DS game console when you turn one the power saving feature. Well it does it a bit differently, which is more cleaver, and less visible to the eye in a gaming environment.

dezmenn

After disabling Generic Pnp Monitor, it seems it's fixed. But I cant control brightness anymore. Seems good enough for me.

First off, thank you very much for making this Surface Pro tweaking tool! Would really come in handy on my Surface Pro 2. I'm mostly interested in the 308 point pen calibration part. I have my Surface Pro 2's screen resolution set to 1600x900 as it allows easier reading of content on my screen (even when a hand distance away) and prevents application icons from blurring as I can set the scaling to 100%. However, now I can't use your awesome pen calibration tool to calibrate my Surface Pro's pen.

Could you kindly inform me of how to create custom calibration for this screen resolution? Or better yet, could you integrate it into your Surface Tweak tool? Thanks in advance.

OP
G

GoodBytes

That would be a lot of work on my side. Not coding it, but testing to know where the points needs to be. I need to do many tests. That is why I can't make one for the Surface Pro 3 and Surface 3, sadly. As the Surface Pro 2 can't reach such resolution to even test anything.

It is best to increase DPI. Increasing DPI will get you a sharp image. If things are blurry, did you try and restart the system? Did you check if your a newer version of your software that are High-DPI aware?

Windows 10 does a better job at scaling non-supported programs. Perhaps it would be best to wait for Windows 10 official release, and see if you can increase the DPI, and things are better for you. As it would be silly to work on something that might not be needed.

jaekqubp

I was running my system at 1600 X 900 for a while, as well. It seems to me that it's a lot easier on the eyes than using DPI scaling. Incidentally, I think that it is a slightly lighter load on battery life, as well. I did however run into some issues with certain modern applications not rendering on the screen correctly.

OP
G

GoodBytes

I was running my system at 1600 X 900 for a while, as well. It seems to me that it's a lot easier on the eyes than using DPI scaling. Incidentally, I think that it is a slightly lighter load on battery life, as well. I did however run into some issues with certain modern applications not rendering on the screen correctly.
I'll see what I can do.

OP
G

GoodBytes

Fantastic news people!

I was able to enable the Intel Control Panel with the Surface Pro drivers :D
(only tested under Windows 10 Build 10166).
No driver file replaced or anything like that, just driver configuration changes.

Need to finish implementing it, however.
Expect a new version soon.

Surface 3 owners, if anyone is interested in being a test subject to try and help me figure out (as I don't have a Surface 3) on how to fix the Intel driver issues on your side, let me know.

Last edited: