What's new

Surface Tweak Tool for Surface Pro 2 - Release!

OP
G

GoodBytes

Just to share something I have discovered. I don't know if this is a temporary decision or permanent from Intel.
But if you get the latest Intel drivers from Windows Update, you have absolutely no control panel. All the files related to it are not there.

What is also interesting, is that you can't even download the drivers, clicking on teh page to download it, leads to this page:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...ro-and-HD-Graphics-Beta-Driver-for-Windows-10
Which just says to go through Windows Update

jaekqubp

I've been using version 10.18.10.4226 of the drivers from Intel for a little while now. They seem to be working well, without a discernable impact on battery life -- though the unit doesn't have the greatest battery life, so it's hard to say for sure. I haven't done any formal benchmark.

These drivers from Intel can be downloaded here:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24973/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-8-1-64-bit

I've been using version 10.18.10.4226 of the drivers from Intel for a little while now. They seem to be working well, without a discernable impact on battery life, though the unit doesn't have the greatest battery life, so it's hard to say for sure.

I disabled automatic updates, downloaded the zip, and installed it using the update option in Device Manager.
Then I hid the system firmware update the device driver update that inevitably showed up in Windows Update.
This prevents Windows from automatically reverting back to their version of the display driver.

So far, so good.

OP
G

GoodBytes

Here is a new version of Surface Tweak Tool for Windows 10 users (untested under Windows 8.1). This is not an official release, but rather an experimental build.

This version contain the ability to enable the Intel Control Panel (where you can disable the dynamic contrast ratio on battery)
Direct file download link removed per forum guidelines.

Please let me know if it works or not.

preview1.png

preview2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
G

GoodBytes

Is this of little use to SP3 owners, or still pretty much on par with SP2 owners? TY.
Both the SP2 and SP3 share the same specs. So while I don't have a SP3 to test, it should work. Please let me know. Feedback from you guys is what makes this tool better and better.

Saul

Exactly the same, I thought there was subtle but notable differences, cant recall them all OTTOMH now?
But yes I will test soon (time permitting) & give some feedback... BR.

OP
G

GoodBytes

Exactly the same, I thought there was subtle but notable differences, cant recall them all OTTOMH now?
But yes I will test soon (time permitting) & give some feedback... BR.
Well they are small differences but they don't/shouldn't affect this tool. The only difference that it affects this tools is the different CPU (Core i3 and i7 models), but the underlying technology is the same, so the drivers should be the same or very close, and that should not affect the tool.

Big thanks! :D

OP
G

GoodBytes

Well it seams that this forum doesn't allow links to the outside anymore.

Which I find it funny, because I using my server to not use theirs... bandwidth is usually costly. But I guess they have incredible offer that they must force people to use theirs. Sure, Ok, more savings on my side! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

leeshor

Well it seams that this forum doesn't allow links to the outside anymore.

Which I find it funny, because I using my server to not use theirs... bandwidth is usually costly. But I guess they have incredible offer that they must force people to use theirs. Sure, Ok, more savings on my side! :)

So anyway, here the file again.
The forum guidelines never have allowed links to direct downloads, (staff is exempt). You could link to the page that download was on. So long as it isn't another forum, which also is in the guidelines.

OP
G

GoodBytes

The forum guidelines never have allowed links to direct downloads, (staff is exempt). You could link to the page that download was on.
Ah ok very good! :D You could have PMed me a while back about it or be a bit more specific in the edit message. I would have taken action earlier and not cause more work on your side by you guys going through every posts of mine to, essentially, clean up after me, especially that I didn't notice until now you have being doing this. :/ I feel bad now.

I'll prepare a page for this when I have a moment of free time.

I just don't want to use your bandwidth, even though your servers are much faster than mine little web server that I am registered to, I don't think it is fair.

leeshor

@GoodBytes no reason to feel badly. It just one of the things forum moderators and admins do and this isn't the only forum I do it on. Part of the job. Sorry if I came across as harsh. ;)