What's new

Surface Tweak Tool for Surface Pro 2 - Release!

OP
G

GoodBytes

So I installed Windows 8.1 back on my Surface Pro 2, and got with the newly release firmware, and my experimental build of Surface Tweak Tool doesn't work anymore. Not because I put Windows 8.1, but that now the Intel Graphics Control Panel executable are gone. So now they didn't disable it, they removed it completely.

Why am I started to think that every time I go a step forward, a Microsoft employee is watching this thread and releases a patch to the Intel drivers to block me.

APV

Wow.

Any idea how to go on from here? Now that updates in Windows 10 can't be delayed indefinitely IIRC, continuously installing the Intel drivers is gonna get tiresome.

OP
G

GoodBytes

Wow.

Any idea how to go on from here? Now that updates in Windows 10 can't be delayed indefinitely IIRC, continuously installing the Intel drivers is gonna get tiresome.
Well the Surface Pro 2 is not Windows 10 ready yet, and I think same for the Surface Pro 3 from what I read on teh internet. Not sure if it true or not.

But I am looking into it. Believe me it annoys me like crazy this stupid features. I wish Intel would just drop it. Looking over the web, this issue is one that a great number of people complain about on all their devices. The difference is that they can turn it off. We can't! And I think the reason why Microsoft is not disabling it by default, and not giving the control panel, is that they are afraid that it will genuinely affect battery life, and people might complain about the reduced battery life. That is the only explanation I have, especially that in 1 firmware of the Surface Pro 2 (before the Pro 3 was released), the Intel Control Panel was there. However, I am not losing hope.

APV

Well the Surface Pro 2 is not Windows 10 ready yet, and I think same for the Surface Pro 3 from what I read on teh internet. Not sure if it true or not.

But I am looking into it. Believe me it annoys me like crazy this stupid features. I wish Intel would just drop it. Looking over the web, this issue is one that a great number of people complain about on all their devices. The difference is that they can turn it off. We can't! And I think the reason why Microsoft is not disabling it by default, and not giving the control panel, is that they are afraid that it will genuinely affect battery life, and people might complain about the reduced battery life. That is the only explanation I have, especially that in 1 firmware of the Surface Pro 2 (before the Pro 3 was released), the Intel Control Panel was there. However, I am not losing hope.

I'm currently running the Windows 10 release and it's pretty great. (I did a complete reset before the upgrade though, wiping all files and programs. Seems like people were having issues and a clean upgrade certainly helped avoid that.) For the few hours after the install, the adaptive contrast didn't kick in and I was in bliss. Then it came back.

I just want them to let us have a frakking check box or something. I've certainly tried asking many times, to no avail. Power users can understand a slight loss of battery life. Hide the setting deep in the control panel or something so average users don't know it exists. I really don't understand why not.

Last edited:

wmgreenjr

Hey Goodbytes! Just wondering since all of the changes with WIN10, if it is possible to post the registry keys and the changed values to turn the adaptive contrast setting on/off. I THINK after doing the update to Win10, the setting is still off (display looks good) but I am going to clean install and know I will lose this (though I can try your tool again and see if it works still).

Also, from another post, there is a way to not get the forced display updates I think (for those that have not seen this yet)...I will do this AFTER I get the display how I like it: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

OP
G

GoodBytes

Hey!
That Microsoft tool is only temporarily hide the drivers, Windows 10 will still force install it.
Next weekend I'll install Windows 10 on my Surface Pro 2, even if Microsoft says it is not ready, and see if I can work out a new solution for Intel graphics.

I can't post the registry keys as they change the values and settings each time. So it on figuring out what these values are. Sometimes I need to change the inf file the registry links to, change the value, and restore back the inf value to what it was so that it doesn't revert back. Also, the driver GUID changes at every driver installs, and is different for each users. So it is a bit complicated. That is why I did the software, else I would have simply done a .reg file to double click and apply, and be done.

wmgreenjr

Bummer on all counts lol...but thanks for the extra info (did not know win10 still force installs and also did not know reg settings changed on each update). If I was a rich man I'd send you an SP3! I can't calibrate my monitor until I get that setting turned off (it does some funky things to it with it on). Good luck on the Win10 install...I'm still going through all the settings but I'm on an SP3, not SP2 - but so far all is going ok....hope it works for you! I'll try and keep an eye on this thread and thanks for all that you do :)