What's new

Surface Tweak Tool for Surface Pro 2 - Release!

Dim-Ize

I'm wondering if I need this or not. Having to ask the question, lends me to think, "no".

I'm just not entirely sure what this does but it is a busy thread so I'm intrigued.

OP
G

GoodBytes

New Version
  • New - Quick 60 point calibration, providing impressive results. If you take your time to do it most precise as possible, you'll get the same or better results than the 273 point calibration :)
  • New - Option to have larger scroll bars for easier pen and touch navigation in Windows desktop.
  • Fix a bug where the wear level can return a negative number under a certain condition.
  • Improved pen calibration screen for easier navigation.

Download: http://www.nvgpupro.com/surfacetweaktool/Surface_Tweak_Tool.zip
This is version 1.0.0.324

Wacom pen calibration support coming on the next version.

Last edited:

lsobrado

wow this is impressive. SP2 is such a letdown in every regard. photoshop CS crashes the intel driver if you let the tablet sleep constantly and neither adobe nor MSFT wants to own up to it. the Wacom driver as many have said, makes your corners worthless. The battery management on SP2 is downright garbage. And the tearing when using clone on an external display is a fatal flaw. DP 1.2 just plain doesn't work with multiple screens, and the list goes on.

so the fact you managed to calibrate that pen is going to fix one of my MAJOR problems. I've been in touch with adobe about the driver but it seems you can't upgrade the surface driver straight from intel....and MSFT off course doesn't care.

I feel cheated by having bought an SP2. not the device, but the low quality of the drivers. You fixing this in lieu of MSFT has to be proof the surface team just doesn't care for us customers! thanks so much!

OP
G

GoodBytes

wow this is impressive. SP2 is such a letdown in every regard. photoshop CS crashes the intel driver if you let the tablet sleep constantly and neither adobe nor MSFT wants to own up to it. the Wacom driver as many have said, makes your corners worthless. The battery management on SP2 is downright garbage. And the tearing when using clone on an external display is a fatal flaw. DP 1.2 just plain doesn't work with multiple screens, and the list goes on.

so the fact you managed to calibrate that pen is going to fix one of my MAJOR problems. I've been in touch with adobe about the driver but it seems you can't upgrade the surface driver straight from intel....and MSFT off course doesn't care.

I feel cheated by having bought an SP2. not the device, but the low quality of the drivers. You fixing this in lieu of MSFT has to be proof the surface team just doesn't care for us customers! thanks so much!

You did not get cheated. All your problems that you are facing are all related to Intel signature graphic solution. That is why I insist that people should push manufactures to put Nvidia or AMD graphic cards. Intel is a free graphic solution. You get what you paid for. Poor drivers, poor multiple monitor support, poor power management GPU, unable to play 1080p videos under Power Saver and on battery (while my 5 year laptop, low end Nvidia GPU, could handle such task without clocking faster), no full DirectX or OpenGL support despite Intel claims (that is why every generation they boost "now fully support DirectX and OpenGL". I don't think they know what "fully support" means, and I go on.Oh and let's not talk about OpenCL (and of course CUDA, as it's not Nvidia)
You don't need a high end gaming level Nvidia or AMD graphic solution. A low end entry level mobile chip is enough to assure a consistent, solid, experience. It will also make Nvidia and AMD see a market (which they given up), in non-gaming ultra low power mobile graphic solution. An example, is check out the Tegra K1. The entire chip is said by Nvidia to consume 5W, and offers a full GeForce Kepler (600 series), and the performance is better than Intel best offering. Now imagine that chip.. without the CPU, just the GPU in the Surface Pro.

Consumer must demand dedicated GPU. Intel is not good enough. Hence the old saying: "Friends don't let friends use Intel integrated graphic solution".
But I knew all this when I got the Surface Pro 2. It's no surprise and I expected all of it.

Anyway this is off topic.

fonzman78

I'm wondering if I need this or not. Having to ask the question, lends me to think, "no".

I'm just not entirely sure what this does but it is a busy thread so I'm intrigued.

Same with me. Not sure why I need this but intrigued. How easy is it to uninstall? Has anyone had any negative experiences. I'm hesitant to introduce issues when I don't really have any. What to do, what to do???

be77solo

Consumer must demand dedicated GPU. Intel is not good enough. Hence the old saying: "Friends don't let friends use Intel integrated graphic solution".
But I knew all this when I got the Surface Pro 2. It's no surprise and I expected all of it.

Anyway this is off topic.
While I agree Intel could do better, I disagree with your post, as Nvidia can do MUCH better as well... I'm quite happy with the Intel solution in the SP2 (and was quite impressed Intel released Titanfall drivers as fast as they did to solve a rendering issue), and I love the Optimus solution in my laptop that shuts down the totally not needed most of the time Nvidia power guzzling GPU. If Nvidia was so power efficient like you are saying, why would Optimus exist that allows us to use the Intel iGPU to save power? Simple: powering the Nvidia GPU uses significantly more power than the IGP, and yes, I have done battery tests on multiple generations of Optimus laptops to test the difference, and every time it equates to hours of additional life. Intel needs improvement, but so does Nvidia and AMD.

OP
G

GoodBytes

Oh no no no. I agree with you. Sorry I was not clear.
I meant that Nvidia appears to have the technology now (with the brand new Tegra K1 that just got released. Now it's a mater of finding a device with it, and now see how it actually performs). Optimus was created years ago.
Right now, Nvidia is focusing on mobile gaming or workstations systems with their chips. That is why all the low end chip are renamed aged old chips, but the higher end, the power hungry ones, aren't.

What I was trying to say, is that if we push manufactures, they'll push Nvidia and AMD, and now THEY will focus more on those GPUs, and now we will see product with such ultra low power dedicated GPU. Or more likely, Nvidia and AMD will see people complaining and demanding for better GPU, and they'll work on it, to make it a possibility. Either (Nvidia and AMD) aren't going to invest multimillion dollars for having manufactures go: "No it will cut into our profits, Intel is free. Beside, our consumers are content with Intel."

That is what I was trying to explain.

Last edited:
OP
G

GoodBytes

Same with me. Not sure why I need this but intrigued. How easy is it to uninstall? Has anyone had any negative experiences. I'm hesitant to introduce issues when I don't really have any. What to do, what to do???

There is no installation. The tweak tool is portable programs. Just extract all files, and run.
The software does not run on the background, and does not modify/add/remove/replace any system files.

Any changes you do with it, stays there even if you delete the software. To restore back the way it was you can undo any changes. Hence the On/Off toggle. But assuming you forgot what it was initially: under the Intel graphic card System tweak sections, you have "Restore to default". Clicking on that will restore all changes to default within that section. Restart the computer and the changes will be applied. As for the pen calibration. Simply open the Windows pen calibration panel, and click on the "Reset" button.

The provided options in Surface tweak tool does not compromise the stability nor security of Windows. All it does is change options that exists, but not available to the user.

Last edited:
OP
G

GoodBytes

March firmware update was release. I didn't test it yet (will do tonight), but it suppose to provide improve Miracast support, and DisplayPort 1.2 daisy chaining (among other fixes and improvements):
Microsoft Surface Pro 2 update history | Surface firmware updates

If anyone here wants to get it, be sure to remember to have your Surface Pro 2 plugged in, fully charged at 100%, and the keyboard connected.
All tweaks set using Surface Tweak Tool related to the Intel integrated graphics will be lost and will need to be re-applied after the firmware upgrade, as the graphic drivers will be updates, so all settings that you set will be lost.

Last edited: