What's new

Surface type cover filter device

heihachi88

Hello, after 10/24/2013 (glitched update) my keyboard, volume etc stopped working. I did a full reinstall of OS and volume up + power button for a few seconds. Now volume button is working.

Type cover keyboard is not working only the damn touchpad. In device manager i have exclamation mark - unknown device and it was Surface Type cover filter device, however, i couldn't install a driver for it from a Device manager.
Sometimes install of the type cover filter device ends with error code 1 and sometimes it says it's installed (Tried manual and automatically from the internet), but in the device manager it still says Unknown and i am not able to use my type cover keyboard, besides touchpad.

MS totally screwed up my SPro2 with that update.

Any help would be appreciated!

MickeyLittle

Hello, after 10/24/2013 (glitched update) my keyboard, volume etc stopped working. I did a full reinstall of OS and volume up + power button for a few seconds. Now volume button is working.

Type cover keyboard is not working only the damn touchpad. In device manager i have exclamation mark - unknown device and it was Surface Type cover filter device, however, i couldn't install a driver for it from a Device manager.
Sometimes install of the type cover filter device ends with error code 1 and sometimes it says it's installed (Tried manual and automatically from the internet), but in the device manager it still says Unknown and i am not able to use my type cover keyboard, besides touchpad.

MS totally screwed up my SPro2 with that update.

Any help would be appreciated!

The best I can truly offer you at this point on 1/13/14 is to gut it out until tomorrow, 1/14/14 as we have been promised a major firmware update from Microsoft that we are counting on to fix a boatload of different issues that various people are experiencing. I have no idea what time Microsoft will start rolling this update out but I wouldn't spend a lot of time working on your issue this close to a hopeful fix. Just my opinion mind you...

daniielrp

Oh nice. Will wait till tomorrow then. Haven't you experienced something similar?

I had a similar things when I reloaded Windows - downloaded the Surface driver pack and tried all the cover drivers until one matched and bizarrely turned out the only one that worked was the touch music cover or something similar, might be worth trying.

Edit: FYI the drivers can be downloaded here.

Last edited:

MickeyLittle

Oh nice. Will wait till tomorrow then. Haven't you experienced something similar?

No sir, I didn't buy the Pro 2 until 12/30 and that was after Microsoft had pulled the defective firmware update. But my Surface had the dimming/flickering screen so I did exchange it at Best Buy and have no issues with this second model! Hopefully yours will be the same sometime tomorrow!:)

OP
H

heihachi88

I had a similar things when I reloaded Windows - downloaded the Surface driver pack and tried all the cover drivers until one matched and bizarrely turned out the only one that worked was the touch music cover or something similar, might be worth trying.

Edit: FYI the drivers can be downloaded here.

Downloaded the drivers from your link, but i cannot find any touch music drivers.

dutchiedave

This is a known problem when you reinstall/refresh the OS and do a firmware update.

I believe the way to solve the driver issue is to download the zip file containing all the drivers for the surface pro 2, go to the folder containing the driver, right click on the driver file and click install. For me and others on the internet, any other way of installing the driver would fail (such as trying to use the Device Manager).

FYI, the reason I refreshed my SP2 in the first place was that the touch cover would constantly stop working except for the touchpad (before I had done any firmware update) so I tried refreshing to fix the problem, then after refreshing I had the problem you describe with the driver.

The solution to my problem was returning and getting a new touch cover.

drolem

There are several ways to un-install/re-install drivers. If it doesn't get fixed by the next batch of SW/FW updates, I can make a short write-up on how to do it manually with "pnputil".

jrapdx

Guys, i cannot see a new firmware. Do you see it?

My goodness, FIRMWARE? None to be seen where me and my new SP2 are sitting. Heard of it, but kind of a mythical beast since we've not seen it embodied in material form. Some claim to have seen it, even drew it in to their "devices", but we maintain staunch skepticism that those who claim its reality subsist under some form of spell, that we have escaped. But keep a sharp eye, it may yet appear. Be wary, it may still bite when we least expect. Sometimes to be overlooked is the greatest blessing...