What's new

Surface vs laptop??

Dahnark

This is like compare laptop with a desktop.

Surface pro 2 is a tablet with Windows 8.1 and an easy way to get a little keyboard, but it is still a tablet.

Macbook or iPad?

The question is what do you want? A tablet or a computer?

I wanted a tablet because I can take notes directly with the stylus like it was paper, this is not possible doing with a laptop.

oion

Right, I'm trying to sell my laptop now to go get one

Keep in mind that what Dahnark says is a little simplified--only the Surface Pro has an active stylus for good handwritten note-taking. The Surface (RT) line does not. If all your notes are typed anyway, then it doesn't matter.

From the brief information you gave us about your use case, it sounded like you were using your laptop as a basic netbook, not as a power-user on an "Ultrabook." A Pro is not necessary unless you require power and the ability to install x86 software.

oion

With the surface rt I will not be able to download and install programs from the web?

No, you can't just download/install stuff at will. Surface RT/2 is like iPad or Android in the "walled garden" space--apps from store only. Surface with Windows RT, however, comes with a full web browser (IE11 with Windows 8.1) that is Flash-enabled, with limits like no addons. But you won't be able to install Chrome if that's your browser of choice. Generally, Surface users are okay with that; I use Opera as my main browser on desktop, but IE is fine otherwise.

If there are any x86 software you must have (e.g. Photoshop), then you'd have to pony up for a Surface Pro or buy a different Windows 8 tablet-hybrid, or just stick with a laptop if you don't foresee using the tablet side of things much right now.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
With the surface rt I will not be able to download and install programs from the web?

Correct, like all ARM based machines, Windows RT is a walled garden, only Apps from the Windows Store can be installed and these will all be Modern UI Apps. Again, of you there is some legacy piece of Windows Software you'll need and can't find a Modern UI equivalent you should chose a x86 Windows Tablet such as the Pro or Pro 2. Also there are many Intel ATOM based tablets now, like the Dell Venue Pro 8 and 11, the ASUS T100, Acer Iconia W4, Lenovo Miix 8 and 10 and Toshiba Encore.

Dahnark

Really compare surface RT with a laptop is a joke.

Surface pro can pass but RT...

Windows store (not phone) is have not almost apps (and the quality of a lot then is bad). It is not caused by Microsoft and is caused by developers, but the fact to face of consumers is that surface RT is very limited (easy and cheap way to use a few app and office 2013). I think that the people should try to get a device with Windows 8.1 and not RT.

In other words Windows 8.1 (desktop and metrol > os x (only desktop)

Android/iOS > Windows RT Windows RT is better like OS, but have more importance the apps, and only office is better, almost all apps now not.

Then I would choose a device following that.

Last edited: