What's new

Surface wakes up after shut down in dock

Oliver Bast

Hi Folks,
if got a problem, for about four weeks or so.
After shut down in the dock the Surface is booting by itsef and then stays on.
This happens even when I remove all external connections on the dock.
When I remove power from the dock after shut down it stays down.
Anyway, I do beliefe the shut down doesn't work poperly, because when without power the battery drains to about 70% in the morning.

Anybody?

Thanks,

Oliver

agt499

Hi Oliver.
I encounter the same thing: I leave mine on the dock to charge overnight, and have often found it awake with two monitors blazing in the middle of the night.
You can try viewing the event logs, but I haven't really had any success. I've identified 'Kernel Power' events where the system exits connected standby, but not established what triggers them.
I suspect that there is a scheduled task that wakes for maintenance or something if power is connected, as 'Shut Down' isn't really shutdown as we used to know it due to 'fast startup' -see http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1956919/fully-shut-windows.html
One thing that helped me was to set the SP3 to go to sleep after 1 hour when plugged in -so if it does wake unattended for no reason, it will at least go back to sleep.
Good luck!

malberttoo

Hi Folks,
if got a problem, for about four weeks or so.
After shut down in the dock the Surface is booting by itsef and then stays on.
This happens even when I remove all external connections on the dock.
When I remove power from the dock after shut down it stays down.
Anyway, I do beliefe the shut down doesn't work poperly, because when without power the battery drains to about 70% in the morning.

Anybody?

Thanks,

Oliver

I have not heard of this issue before. As @agt499 alluded to, what is your sleep time set to in Power Settings?

Rudy

FWIW On the surface 2 I believe that after plugging in USB devices to the dock, the thing is more likely to "have insomnia". Mine should go from "light sleep" to "hibernate" after four hours, but I'll see the event

Wake Source: Device -Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0100 (Microsoft)

instead of hibernation. Nothing is plugged into USB 3 at the time, although I do have a USB 2 keyboard, and powered off printer, always plugged into the dock.

Unfortunately "go to sleep in an hour", doesn't seem to work in these cases, and the PC will be running when I get to it in the morning.

The small upside is that, for me, powering down [menu shutdown instead of my desktop keyboard 'sleep key'] clears the condition for a few days.

I've also had to spend time in "Task Scheduler" chasing down tasks with "Wake the computer to run this task" selected. I won't install Media Center on a portable again.

OP
O

Oliver Bast

Hi,
@malberttoo , my sleeptime on power is never.

I digged a little deeper:
When I use restart, the computer doesn't do it. Only after a couple of minutes it comes up again.
So it seems like the shut down doesn't finish at all and after those couple of minutes it is just rebooting.

Then I removed all connections from the dock - no change.
I took the SP out of the dock and used the original power supply - the device does a proper restart and is not booting up by itself.

So it seems to boil down to some driver crash involving the dock during shut down.

Any help or idea to further dig in to this?