What's new

Surface Warranty: Specifically Section 4.iv

warranty guy

I don't know about the extended warranty but MS's standard warranty is a rip off. The way it works is if you buy a Surface you are supposed to be covered by the standard warranty for a year. Assume your Surface stops working after two months and you return it for it for repair. MS carefully scrutinizes the device looking for any scratches and if scratches are found on the device then your warranty is VOIDED. The only way to then get a repair is to pay MS $300.00 for out of warranty coverage. Item (iv) below is the relevant clause:
Warranty Exclusions
(a) Microsoft is not responsible and this warranty does not apply if Your Microsoft Hardware or
Accessory is:
i. damaged by use with products not sold or licensed by Microsoft;
ii. opened, modified, or tampered with (including, for example, any attempt to defeat or
circumvent any Microsoft technical limitation or security mechanism, etc.), or its serial number
is altered or removed;
iii. damaged by any external cause (including, for example, by being dropped, exposed to liquid,
used with inadequate ventilation, etc., or failure to follow instructions in the instruction
manual);
iv. scratched, dented, etc. or shows other cosmetic damage; or
v. repaired by anyone other than Microsoft or an authorized retailer.

This is certainly not the policy with Apple and the iPad. Hopefully Best Buy has a better warranty policy. MS does not communicate this when you purchase the device you have to go to there web site to find out about the policy.

ArnoldC

Go grab the PDF here- http://download.microsoft.com/downl.../Warranty U S -Canada (English) 1_17_2013.pdf

And here's the post from a 'frustrated' member

I don't know about the extended warranty but MS's standard warranty is a rip off. The way it works is if you buy a Surface you are supposed to be covered by the standard warranty for a year. Assume your Surface stops working after two months and you return it for it for repair. MS carefully scrutinizes the device looking for any scratches and if scratches are found on the device then your warranty is VOIDED. The only way to then get a repair is to pay MS $300.00 for out of warranty coverage. Item (iv) below is the relevant clause:
Warranty Exclusions
(a) Microsoft is not responsible and this warranty does not apply if Your Microsoft Hardware or
Accessory is:
i. damaged by use with products not sold or licensed by Microsoft;
ii. opened, modified, or tampered with (including, for example, any attempt to defeat or
circumvent any Microsoft technical limitation or security mechanism, etc.), or its serial number
is altered or removed;
iii. damaged by any external cause (including, for example, by being dropped, exposed to liquid,
used with inadequate ventilation, etc., or failure to follow instructions in the instruction
manual);
iv. scratched, dented, etc. or shows other cosmetic damage; or
v. repaired by anyone other than Microsoft or an authorized retailer.

This is certainly not the policy with Apple and the iPad. Hopefully Best Buy has a better warranty policy. MS does not communicate this when you purchase the device you have to go to there web site to find out about the policy.

And here's the transcript of my discussion with Microsoft Answer Tech.

OP
W

warranty guy

Thanks ArnoldC, this is certainly hopeful. I'll contact Surface Support and reference your correspondence because this is how I feel the warranty should work. My device is warranted until February 2014. My device was received and immediately sent back to me because they found scratches. They never bothered to investigate the audio problem. Perhaps mistakes were made, I hope so. I can understand them not wanting to send another replacement because the device has scratches but I am willing to wait until they can repair my device. After investing so heavily in the Surface, I am indeed hopeful.

Again thanks for your sincere kindness. It means a lot for someone to try to understand and help. From the responses I was receiving on this forum I never would have thought anyone would reach out in the way you have. I do feel blessed! I'll post back what I find out and I will sleep with a smile on my face tonight. :)

ArnoldC

My Surface RT is in an even worse condition, but it will be replaced. I'm just looking at which option is best, i.e., Australia (original country of purchase) or Singapore (new South-East Asia option).

Good luck to you, and you're welcome.

hotphil

It may vary from country to country, but in some countries they'd be breaking consumer laws by acting in that way.
If it's developed a fault and has some inconsequential "wear and tear" in the form of scratches, the onus is on them to prove the scratches caused the other fault. It shouldn't be up to the consumer to argue the point.

leeshor

Those exclusions are not unusual for most devices. They're trying their best to cover their rears against idiots. None of you of course,;) but they typically do give some leeway on the terms. Don't know about Apple specifically but those terms are fairly standard. I've actually read many of them beginning to end.

How many if you have read the software terms before accepting them. You might be shocked.

tonyz3

i usually sell my devices on Ebay so i always tend to put a skin on them to try to keep them in as best shape as possible for the best resale value.( iguess this is another reason for that) I go thru devices like popcorn but usually get a good value when selling because i don't let my kids touch them...:wink:My 5 yr olds nexus is wrapped to the gills and could probably survive a 10 story fall.