What's new

Surface2 Deal Breaker Feature - microSD slot supports up to only 2GB of extra storage

Sandbo

This might have been much overlooked by most people, but has caught my eye when I first saw the spec comparison between Surface 2 and Pro 2.

From a previous reply I pointed out my worry:
http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/microsoft-surface-2/6041-surface-2-official-specs.html#post38091

Do visit this link, see the "Tons of ports" section":
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/html/pbPage.PDPS/productID.286922400

And then I tried to confirm it with a MS salesperson and here is the conversation:
Thank you for choosing Microsoft Store. An Answer Tech will be with you shortly.
Privacy Statement
You are now chatting with 'Ryan'.
Ryan: Thank you for choosing the Microsoft On-line Store for your needs today! My name is Ryan and I'll be happy to assist you on this wonderful day!
You: Hello Ryan, I need a clarification for the microSD expansion capability of Surface 2, can you help?
Ryan: I would be happy to go over the Surface with you today
You: On Surface RT, it was known to be a microSDXC slot that we can use card as large as 64GB
You: But now on this page, the "Tons of ports" section, it said only up to "2GB" of extra storage, can you confirm this?
Ryan: Yes.
Ryan: Let me grab you the correct link
You: Microsoft Store Canada Online Store
Ryan: Just a moment while I look into that for you.
You: Sure, take you time.
Ryan: Thank you
Ryan: Looks like you can go up to 64GB
Ryan: With the Pro
Ryan: and 2GB with the 2
You: This is really a big issue to so many people, as almost all of us are expecting the same or better reader on a successor of Surface RT......
Ryan: I'm sorry. Its only available on the Pro.
You: This is a deal breaker, I just want MS to know. It's hard for me to consider a pre-order at the moment.
Ryan: I understand
You: Thanks for the help anyway.
Ryan: You're welcome
Ryan: Thanks again for chatting with us at the Microsoft Store, we appreciate your business!
Thank you for chatting with us. Please click the "Close" button on the top right of the chat window to tell us how we did today.

2GB only, if he is not wrong. Be careful if you are getting the 32GB version and plan to use a microSDHC/XC card to get cheaper extra storage, it MAY NOT WORK.
Don't tell me MS is trying to force us to get the 64GB version simply by this method.

Last edited:

demandarin

Alto of times those people don't know what they talking about. I get tech support spewing stuff all the time on details about their own product that isn't true. Don't feed into it. Or doesn't even make sense..lol I've never heard of a modern tablet, that if it supports a memory card, its only up to 2gb. That employee probably was thinking of Sirface2 RAM amount. Which is 2gb worth.

The official specs document on surface 2 says it still supports SDXC microsd card. IM sure its still 64gb max.

OP
S

Sandbo

I do want to hear that, but this is noted also on their official site, two places on this page:
Microsoft Store Canada Online Store

"Tons of ports" section it read 2GB of extra storage
Comparison table : microSD vs microSDXC for Surface 2 and Pro 2

If that is a mistake, it certainly is a very big one.

demandarin

You right and they need to fix it asap as it might turn off people. But there is no was MS would make a huge mistake of only allowing a 2gb max microcard. Everywhere I've seen its SDXC. You can download sirface2 specs document from MS site and it states it there also.

OP
S

Sandbo

Definitely, I didn't believe a non-sense like this so I didn't bother to ask them for clarification previously,
until I happened to read "up to 2GB of extra storage" on their description page which really drew my attention.......

If there are some members here have a better connection with the staff in MS, you'd better tell them this before it has escalated in big sites like Anandtech.

demandarin

Its likely member jnjroach can clarify this. He was at the surface event and will be receiving both sirface2 and pro2 in less than 2weeks. Lucky guy..lol Try sending him a message about your question. He will definitely be able to test this out before device releases to the masses if he has no concrete info on it.

kristalsoldier

What's the difference between a MicroSD card and MicroSDXC card again? For the record, I use a 64GB MicroSDXC card (San Disk) in my Surface RT and it works fine. I'd be very surprised if MS changed that. But the reason I asked the question is because in the page linked above (to the Canada site of the Surface2), this difference appears between the Surface 2 and the Surface Pro2 in the comparison chart.

What is even more strange is that if you look at the MS Surface page (UK site - link here - http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-gb/surface-with-windows-rt/specifications) and scroll down to the specs where it says Ports, you will see that the MicroSD slot supports MicroSDXC cards, which is not the case on the Canadian site for the Surface 2!!! What is even more interesting is that the MS UK site also says - like the Canadian site - that the Surface 2 comes with a MicroSD card reader and NOT a MicroSDXC card reader (which the Surface Pro 2 does - again as per the comparison chart - see at this link - http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/html/pbPage.PDPS/productID.286902800).

Very odd!!!!

Last edited:
OP
S

Sandbo

What's the difference between a MicroSD card and MicroSDXC card again? For the record, I use a 64GB MicroSDXC card (San Disk) in my Surface RT and it works fine. I'd be very surprised if MS changed that. But the reason I asked the question is because in the page linked above (to the Canada site of the Surface2), this difference appears between the Surface 2 and the Surface Pro2 in the comparison chart.

The main difference is the volume supported,
According to SD card's standard, it is 2GB for SD, 32GB for SDHC, 64GB+ for SDXC, the same should apply to microSD cards.
So if it is stressing the microSDXC on Pro 2, it is equal to emphasize that Surface 2 supports only up to 2GB, and then they wrote it also on the "Tons of port" section on the same page.

Don't believe in this yet, for it maybe a mistake of those who wrote the site (got to be fired if that's the case).

kristalsoldier

How can MS get this kind of stuff wrong, I wonder!!!!! Seriously, I think they have a huge problem in getting their act together when it comes to these soft issues associated with their product launches! Btw, I think the best person to address this query is Jeff (jnjroach), I'll PM him and direct his attention to this thread.

Edit: In a thread posted by jnjroach titled "Surface 2 official specs", I notice that under ports he does mention MicroSDXC.

Last edited:
OP
S

Sandbo

Well, actually after using my Lumia 620 for almost a year........I have to say their main weakness is on the "details" of everything.
I have been driven crazy a couple of times dealing with that;

like when I was logging in somewhere (maybe connecting facebook through 2-step verification) it told me to get the verification code after entering the account credentials,
I pressed home button, check the SMS and then going back to the login page, they asked me again for my account credentials again, and it's a while 1 loop;)

Another issue is there isn't a preferred WiFi access point when there exists two connect-able hotspots, it turned out to always connect to the weaker one.............(I can't remove it as it is necessary when I was out of the hostel in the campus...........)

So no wonder this happens after all, but they have to correct it asap.

Omni

Well, actually after using my Lumia 620 for almost a year........I have to say their main weakness is on the "details" of everything.
I have been driven crazy a couple of times dealing with that;

like when I was logging in somewhere (maybe connecting facebook through 2-step verification) it told me to get the verification code after entering the account credentials,
I pressed home button, check the SMS and then going back to the login page, they asked me again for my account credentials again, and it's a while 1 loop;)

Another issue is there isn't a preferred WiFi access point when there exists two connect-able hotspots, it turned out to always connect to the weaker one.............(I can't remove it as it is necessary when I was out of the hostel in the campus...........)

So no wonder this happens after all, but they have to correct it asap.

I find holding the back button always takes me back to the app screen I need without having to restart.

On topic, the Surface 2 will support 64GB SD cards this is just some stupid mistake that someone needs to get in trouble for.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
People Chill....

The MS Rep on chat was mistaken, clear and simple....here from my press kit hat I used to post the Official Specs with the MicroSDXC Card Reader Highlighted:

Operating system Windows RT 8.1 with Microsoft Office 2013 RT versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote and Outlook. Works exclusively with apps available in the Windows Store.
Exterior 10.81” x 6.79” x 0.35”
Less than 1.49 lbs
VaporMg
Magnesium (Silver)
Volume up/down and power buttons
Storage 32 GB; 64 GB1
Display 10.6" ClearType Full HD display
1920 x 1080p
16:9 (widescreen)
5-point multitouch
CPU NVIDIA Tegra 4 (T40) 1.7GHz quad core
2 GB of RAM
Wireless Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)
Bluetooth 4.0 low energy technology
Battery Up to 10 hours of video playback
7–15 days idle life
Cameras and A/V 3.5MP front-facing camera
5MP rear-facing camera
1080p video capture
Stereo speakers (digitally enhanced for fuller sound)
Two microphones (with noise cancellation)
Ports Full-size USB 3.0
MicroSDXC card reader
Headset jack
HD video out port
Cover port
Sensors Ambient light sensor
Accelerometer
Gyroscope
Magnetometer
Power supply 24W power supply
Warranty One-year limited hardware warranty
Apps (included) Mail, Calendar, People, Internet Explorer 11, Photos, Music, Video, Games, Skype, Fresh Paint, Calculator, Reading List, Reader, Scan, News, Weather, Sports, Travel, Finance, Health & Fitness, Food & Drink, Help, Camera, SkyDrive, Sound Recorder and more

MicroSDXC supports up 2 TB Cards in the Specs, I haven't seen anything larger than 64 GB currently but 128 GB is rumored to be releasing soon.

Last edited: