What's new

Surface2 - sound issues

Hi all- Wondering if anyone else has a similar problem. I'm encountering a glitch when switching between headphones and speakers on my S2. Basically when I disconnect the headphones, the speakers don't work or if I have the speakers working and plug in the headphones the signal doesn't transfer to the headphones. I can correct the problem by selecting the device (headphones or speakers) by clicking on the sound icon in desktop mode and selecting the device. I originally thought it was a hardware switching problem with the headphone jack, but since I can switch devices via software, I'm thinking maybe its a software problem. Not a huge deal and I can live with it, but I'm curious to see if I'm the only one with the problem. Thanks.

I only notice it if I disconnect the headphones when the screen is off. I have to get the screen on, then reconnect and disconnect the headphones to fix it.

king182

Hi all- Wondering if anyone else has a similar problem. I'm encountering a glitch when switching between headphones and speakers on my S2. Basically when I disconnect the headphones, the speakers don't work or if I have the speakers working and plug in the headphones the signal doesn't transfer to the headphones. I can correct the problem by selecting the device (headphones or speakers) by clicking on the sound icon in desktop mode and selecting the device. I originally thought it was a hardware switching problem with the headphone jack, but since I can switch devices via software, I'm thinking maybe its a software problem. Not a huge deal and I can live with it, but I'm curious to see if I'm the only one with the problem. Thanks.

Same problem here, but not always. It happens every once in a while.

demandarin

I noticed a similar issue on my pro. seems to happen when going in and out of Steam and playing games. itll show same symptoms you all described.

How is the Sound output on the Surface 2 with Dolby Digital? how is it compared to the RT? I wonder if its just a digital solution used or they actually put new speakers in there also. if its software, can it be applied to at least the original pro?

OP
Rick Sutliffe

Rick Sutliffe

I'm thinking it must be a software issue and not a bad mechanical component. Hopefully MS will fix it with a software patch.

Regarding the sound output on myS2: In my opinion, the sound was somewhat better on my Surface RT, but I'm not a sophisticated user as far as sound goes. I use my S2 for movies when traveling with headphones. The separation is good, deep bass and acceptable highs. Somewhat less when using the speakers, but for obvious reasons, I usually use headphones.

CrippsCorner

Sorry if I'm barking up the wrong tree here but I take it you're talking about the speakers built into the Surface?

Only I get something similar but it's because I have a bluetooth adapter connected to my amplifier and the Surface speakers won't work until I've switched that off.