What's new

Surfare Pro SFC /scannow

Hello Im new to the Fourms :)

Ive been using my Surface Pro 4 for 2 months now, only got a problem with a display driver issue but it was recovered.

Im here to get help with a Sfc /scannow problem but it cant repair some files, i checked the file in CBS but cant seem to see whats causing the problem. im not sure if i should boot up Windows Media Creation tool to repair my Surface Pro.
i discovered other problems using Processexplorer, The Dnsapi.dll is infected with malware according to Virustotal : https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...a7b0a405239476d6906576a1a75e95f6ecb/analysis/
I also found a driver called: SurfaceStorageFWUpdate.sys driver infected with malware
Virustotal: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...170819b8fe5e6ecf1e4a0a8350fcb0d770c/analysis/

i also use a Standard account for daily tasks, My Admin includes a pin code which is included with Windows 10, not sure if this is secure.. but i think it prevents Keyloggers to see my Admin Password..

WaVeS

I'd say try what Serpico suggested. I'm working on it now.

I think I got it - this is a compiled routine from several forums and boards. I Ran this exactly as listed below and sleep appears to be working properly now (solid for 4 days). I am running SP4 fully patched with latest drivers installed.

This is a rather in depth routine, please follow all the steps in order and don't skip around:

Run the COMMAND PROMPT (ADMIN) and enter:
sfc /scannow

If the report comes back detailing errors/missing/corrupt files then run the more advanced command in the same window:
Dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

If the report comes back with Error code: 0x800f081f then your Surface has missing and corrupt files (having to do with Windows Updates). Run the following to correct:

Step 1: Download the Windows 10 64 Bit ISO from the Tech Bench Upgrade Program using this link (just the 64 bit ISO - nothing else is required): Tech Bench

Step 2: Delete any existing CBS Log file: The path is: "C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log"

Step 3: Mount the downloaded Windows 10 64 Bit ISO file "Win10_1511_English_x64", do not run (auto) setup.exe.

Step 4: Run the DISM command in Command Prompt (Admin):
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:E:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

* Note: Make sure that the source drive letter is correct. In this example above the source of the Mounted ISO is E ("/source:WIM:E:"). Check the file explorer after mounting the ISO for the correct drive letter.

Step 5: Run (again) the COMMAND PROMPT (ADMIN) and enter:
sfc /scannow

If the report comes back detailing errors/missing/corrupt files, REBOOT the SP4. DON'T SKIP THIS - DON'T BE LAZY - THIS REBOOT IS NECESSARY.

AFTER REBOOT:

Step 1: Delete any existing CBS Log file. The path is: "C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log"

Step 2: Mount the downloaded Windows 10 64 Bit ISO file "Win10_1511_English_x64", do not run (auto) setup.exe.

Step 3: Run (again) the DISM command in Command Prompt (Admin):
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:E:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

Step 4: Run (again) the COMMAND PROMPT (ADMIN) and enter:
sfc /scannow

YOU MAY NEED to re-run 1 - 4 above with a restart in-between a couple times to clear all errors.

The work above is a compilation of several authors (not me) ~ I do not take credit nor responsibility. I am simply sharing what worked for me.

InspectHerGadget

The sfc /scannow is not a lot of use for fixing system files. It used to work but I've noticed on a number of computers now it doesn't work. The DISM command likewise I haven't been able to get it to work. It would be good if some guru nailed this.