What's new

Surprisingly Bad Gaming Performance

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
That means if you are playing DOTA 2 for about 10 minutes or more, you will average 18.3FPS on Pro 3 i3 vs 30FPS on Pro 2. It's a bit better than i5 Pro 3 but not much. This probably means i7 Pro 3 will be worse than i5 as I assumed, pretty crazy.
OK Seriously do you all not realize that 15 watts TDP the same whether is an i5 or i7.

The thermal design power (TDP), sometimes called thermal design point, refers to the maximum amount of heat generated by the CPU, which the cooling system in a computer is required to dissipate.

Liam2349

OK Seriously do you all not realize that 15 watts TDP the same whether is an i5 or i7.

The thermal design power (TDP), sometimes called thermal design point, refers to the maximum amount of heat generated by the CPU, which the cooling system in a computer is required to dissipate.

I'd love to see a comparison but I'm betting i5 will beat i7 in gaming.

bkydcmpr

devices like sp3 use different approach. the designs are based on sdp, and throttled way below the tdp so the tdp number is not even a topic for sp3.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
devices like sp3 use different approach. the designs are based on sdp, and throttled way below the tdp so the tdp number is not even a topic for sp3.
SDP = TDP-W
Perf @SDP is relative to Perf @TDP.
i5 perf @SDP or TDP is relative to i7 perf @SDP or TDP.

jollywombat

I understand that the 15w TDP is the limit for both the i5 and i7 chips used here, and that it relevant in the discussion. However, that does not mean the cooling solution being used to dissipate that 15w is up to the task with the design implementation, especially extended period usage. This is not uncommon by any means from manufacturers who then just rely on throttling once the chip is too hot to maintain the higher frequencies. The i5 may not be reaching the 15w ceiling with the current cooling, so is not having as many throttling issues, the i7 does appear to be hitting that hard and is correctly being throttled down to prevent hardware damage. They are not just magically increasing the CPU frequency in the same chip architecture without a thermal increase to match, they are just not documenting the specifics of the i5/i7 and putting the overall thermal limit for the architecture.

Dim-Ize

So, from what the experts on here have gathered - is the conclusion that Broadwell is the solution for gaming on the form factor of the SP3?

Seems like heat, power, and cooling in the current form factor with current generation of CPU's is just too much when really hammering the system with an intensive game.

I love my SP2. I have been intrigued with the size and weight of the SP3, but have been reading and waiting before purchasing. Frankly, I'm kinda amazed, as my normal behaviour is to jump first without looking.

The December time-frame may be the right intersection point for my needs: form factor + proper CPU.

Kif

At the end of the day, SP3 isn't an upgrade to SP2, it's an alternative.

I'll give you that. But I would add that my 4 year desktop computer handily outperforms all current and past generation ultra-books. So it's an alternative for anyone looking for better performance and they don't care about form factor since it weighs 60 pounds and uses 600 watts of juice. My wife's MacBook pro also outperforms all existing ultrabooks so it's also another alternative. Ultra-books are always built with a compromises between design, function and performance. The SP3 probably isn't for the person who focuses on the performance element.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
So, from what the experts on here have gathered - is the conclusion that Broadwell is the solution for gaming on the form factor of the SP3?

Seems like heat, power, and cooling in the current form factor with current generation of CPU's is just too much when really hammering the system with an intensive game.

I love my SP2. I have been intrigued with the size and weight of the SP3, but have been reading and waiting before purchasing. Frankly, I'm kinda amazed, as my normal behaviour is to jump first without looking.

The December time-frame may be the right intersection point for my needs: form factor + proper CPU.
I think when Intel says Broadwell chip y will be available in Q4 2014 you may not see it in a device on the market for several months yet. so MS may have adjusted their product schedules to line up better with Intel's releases. just speculating... Surface 4 for Q2 2015 with Broadwell.

Liam2349

I'll give you that. But I would add that my 4 year desktop computer handily outperforms all current and past generation ultra-books. So it's an alternative for anyone looking for better performance and they don't care about form factor since it weighs 60 pounds and uses 600 watts of juice. My wife's MacBook pro also outperforms all existing ultrabooks so it's also another alternative. Ultra-books are always built with a compromises between design, function and performance. The SP3 probably isn't for the person who focuses on the performance element.

I think you're slightly missing my point. Let me say that I have a high end desktop - I can run Battlefield 4 ultra at 80+FPS. I don't expect my portable device to match this.

My issues with Surface Pro 3, or my expected issues, are that the stylus doesn't track as far from the screen and that the fan will be on a lot more than I'm used to. The stylus could be very bad for palm rejection. I like that my SP2 stylus attaches magnetically to the device, I like where the Windows button is - we will have to see.

I hope the new features will be enough to offset this for me, and I hope that these drawbacks won't be too bad, but it depends on how you use it.

Kif

I think when Intel says Broadwell chip y will be available in Q4 2014 you may not see it in a device on the market for several months yet. so MS may have adjusted their product schedules to line up better with Intel's releases. just speculating... Surface 4 for Q2 2015 with Broadwell.

I think your guessmate is pretty good here. The i3 and i7 SP3 was just rolled out on August 1st. You have to think it's really unlikely Microsoft would release an updated machine this year. Waiting for the next gen processor is really a zero-sum game. While broadwell will give the SP a nice performance bump everything else will get a similar bump so it won't move up the chart.