What's new

swap covers between generations?

Arizona Willie

I have the Surface Pro with the Type Keyboard.

If I bought a Surface Pro 2 will this Type Keyboard work or do I have to buy a new keyboard too?

sashlon

They are interchangeable. You wont need to buy a new one.

To my knowledge the only restriction to a keyboard cover will be the Power Cover which will only work with Surface Pro and Surface Pro 2.

D

Deleted member 10837

The DJ Remix Cover will not be compatible with Surface RT.

oion

They are interchangeable. You wont need to buy a new one.

To my knowledge the only restriction to a keyboard cover will be the Power Cover which will only work with Surface Pro and Surface Pro 2.

Correction:

The power cover will be compatible with Surface 2, Surface Pro, Surface Pro 2. Not Surface RT.

oion

Really? I'm sure I read somewhere it would only work with the x86 Surfaces. Guess I was wrong.

The power cover compatibility has to do with the hardware connector capabilities at the bottom of the Surface and has nothing to do with the operating system. Last year (or early this year) MS did a QA where they said a future power cover requires the additional power connection there... which they had added to the Surface Pro 1 in anticipation for this accessory. I suppose the hardware upgrade wasn't given to the Surface RT because the battery life was expected to be fine for most people anyway. Both Surface 2/Pro 2 have the necessary connector.