What's new

Swipe to go back - slow re-loading webpage?

gwinegarden

I have also noticed that, on occasion, the browser seems to get lost. Sometimes, when I go back, it goes to a page before the previous one.

sweeptheleg

I Find it slow for myself also, but wouldn't think of returning my device for a 5 nano second pause, I think that's just silly, to me that's just overreacting to something so small lol

I'm talking about a 3-8 second pause.. considerably longer than it would take the computer to just load the webpage.

Its most annoying on reddit where you click a link read a second or 2 then go back. Then click another link wash repeat. Its not a nano second. It Also only happens on swipe. Not when clicking back so I don't think it has to do with the website ads. The action should just trigger the back button but somehow the surface is getting hung up the swipe animation and retrying to find my position on the previous page.

Last edited:

shazada

I have the same. But I have it for 50% of the time. Somethimes it's fast and others it's slow. If I use Firefox desktop mode it's cool. So it's def an IE issue rather than your device.

OP
G

godson594

I'm talking about a 3-8 second pause.. considerably longer than it would take the computer to just load the webpage.

Its most annoying on reddit where you click a link read a second or 2 then go back. Then click another link wash repeat. Its not a nano second. It Also only happens on swipe. Not when clicking back so I don't think it has to do with the website ads. The action should just trigger the back button but somehow the surface is getting hung up the swipe animation and retrying to find my position on the previous page.

Its annoying as hell to me still....

Philtastic

Pasting this here.... seems to have helped me in metro ui.

in desktop mode, go to tools -> Internet Options -> Browsing History -> Settings, and where it asks when to check for an updated copy of the web page, change it to Every time I start IE or never.

From here
Slow to go back in IE10 in Win8 RT on Surface - Microsoft Community

This really helped me. Do note that, once you make the change, you have to close IE for the setting change to take effect. Now going back only takes roughly 0.5-1 seconds instead of ~3-4!

beq

Similar experience here. Swiping back in Metro IE usually seems to take a bit longer as the page dims, which doesn't seem to happen (or happen as pronouncedly) when using a keyboard back button. As others have mentioned, the experience can vary from site to site.

A shorter delay I guess I can put up with, *but* sometimes the previous page would just get hung on the reload. The screen would show that previous page, but it's stuck on the inactive dimmed state forever. In those instances, I ended up having to swipe forward, then swiping back again, and usually it works on the second try.

How do the desktop browsers handle navigation and previous-page reloads (in regards to the banner ad cross-site scripting jnjroach mentioned), which seem to work faster and more reliably than Metro IE?

OP
G

godson594

crazy thing is mine was super slow again and hanging.. come to find out the setting magically switched back to old setting ffs....