What's new

Synching Outlook

pamjr8

I use my Dell Laptop with Outlook for mail/calendar. Windows 7 is on the laptop. I do not have to sign in to get access when I boot up or to get into Outlook.
I bought a Surface 2 and I want to transfer (or sync) my Outlook from my laptop onto my Surface. The apps for calendar and email aren't necessary as Outlook is on the desktop of the Surface and I'm fine with that. But I can't seem to sync my calendar from the PC to the Surface. Do I need to have Windows 8 on the PC in order to sync to surface?

The Toy Man

I use my Dell Laptop with Outlook for mail/calendar. Windows 7 is on the laptop. I do not have to sign in to get access when I boot up or to get into Outlook.
I bought a Surface 2 and I want to transfer (or sync) my Outlook from my laptop onto my Surface. The apps for calendar and email aren't necessary as Outlook is on the desktop of the Surface and I'm fine with that. But I can't seem to sync my calendar from the PC to the Surface. Do I need to have Windows 8 on the PC in order to sync to surface?

I use SynchPST. Not free but works.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You haven't given us enough information to help you. What Mail and Calendar System are you using? Are you using Outlook.Com (formally Hotmail)? Are you connected to a Corporate Exchange System? GMAIL? ISP POP/IMAP? All of the systems except POP should allow seamless Synchronizing across any platform.

OP
P

pamjr8

I use outlook on my desktop. Two of my email accounts are imap/SMTP and one is pop/SMTP. I never use outlook.Com except to use this forum. I am not connected to an exchange system or Gmail.

I appreciate any step by step instructions for making this synchronization possible. I am receiving email on my surface. I set that up in OUTLOOK which came with the tablet. I would really like to get my calendar and contact info too. I am happy to share any details you need to help. I'm not sure what you need but think I answered your questions above.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The only way is moving your Calendar and Contacts that is Cloud Based if you want real time Sync, I use Outlook.com for personal and Office365 for work. Other than that would be creating a manual workflow of Exporting Up your .pst file from your laptop and importing it to your Surface 2 every time you make a change. Outlook.com would be your best bet...

OP
P

pamjr8

How do I do that? Do I upload my calendar and contacts on my desktop up to the cloud? How do I do that? I'm not even sure where to go to upload that stuff. For instance, if I'm on my PC do I go to a web site and sign in with my outlook.Com email and then upload the calendar there? Then download it to my surface? I need instructions. Not sure how to do it. thanks

OP
P

pamjr8

I went to outlook.Com and signed in using my account. I downloaded SkyDrive to my PC. But no matter what I try (import/export) it is only prompting me to move FILES such as word docs. It does not allow me to access my calendar, which is in outlook. I know this is probably a very simple task but I am unable, as a basic user, to make this work. Very frustrating.

OP
P

pamjr8

This actually didn't work. I had to manually move my calendar. I'm guessing I'm going to have to pay Microsoft for help.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, as long as you make your Outlook.com Calendar as the default Calendar in Outlook on both devices they will sync across both devices no matter where you make the change.