What's new

syncing apps between desktop & surface rt?

lisa

Hi all, bought a Surface RT yesterday & just getting to grips with it. I've bought it primarily for work, I'm a teacher with a strong pastoral role & have a lot of meetings with parents, outside professionals & I wanted a way of keeping all my info in 1 place, taking & keeping good notes etc. I seem to spend my time looking for scraps of paper with notes on - no more hopefully! I've synced my email & outlook calendar without a problem between my desktop, surface & iPhone. I've found an app for lesson planning called 'good plan' it looks really good. Does anyone know if it's possible to work on an app like that on the tablet & desktop but the work be synced between them? Ideally i'd plan my lessons on desktop but take the surface to school and be able to access what I'd done on the desktop. Any ideas? Or, is there a much more obvious way of doing it than I have thought of?
Advice appreciated, thanks

oion

Unfortunately, Windows 8 syncing is mainly for settings and certain MS applications (e.g. Office). Third party application syncing would be a function of that app--and if it doesn't have that capability, then it probably isn't possible. If the 3rd party app allows "save as" or "export" functionality, then it might be possible for you to install the app on your Windows 8 desktop and manually port plans between desktop/Surface; this obviously wouldn't be as nice as true sync, but I don't expect an app of this nature to allow exporting either (it's probably a proprietary format). The Google<->Outlook sync tool, for example, is provided by Google.

Another option is finding a free/paid Excel (or Word) template for lesson planning that you can sync via SkyDrive on your Surface RT and desktop with Office.

OP
L

lisa

Thanks very much for your reply. I've found a site called PlanboardApp which seems to do what I want & I can access it from wherever so I think this one is solved. Thanks again.

oion

Thanks very much for your reply. I've found a site called PlanboardApp which seems to do what I want & I can access it from wherever so I think this one is solved. Thanks again.

Glad you found something that should work for you. :) Of course, a website with login makes perfect sense that it'd be accessible from anywhere (with an internet connection and browser). That sort of option never occurred to me, but I'm not a teacher.