What's new

System Firmware Update 1/15/2015

OP
C

cemian

An interesting note...after getting my FREAK on with all of the important updates yesterday....with today's use surprisingly I am getting much better battery life and it is running much cooler..less fan if at all...Since about 9AM this morning I have been using it and I am currently at 51%....normally I would have needed the AC adapter already...I would normally get maybe 3-4 hours use out of it with fan blowing with much heat in the back...also note before the updates I did update the intel video drivers to the current one on the intel site..I had the old november 2014 drivers from microsoft update....I am quite pleased and wanted to share to see if anyone else was affected positively today like I was. :)

glr

My driver hasn't changed either. My OS is 8.1...should I have received an update too?

upload_2015-3-11_21-57-6.png

glr

Yea supposedly system hardware update 1/15/2015 updates the video drivers from november to january..if they don't get updated try to update them manually

I tried downloading and pointing but this noob evidently didn't do it right. The download site above offered access to a number of different files. I guess I am uncertain which one to download and to which specific file or directory I should point the update to, to complete the update.

Attachments

• upload_2015-3-11_22-9-36.png
    upload_2015-3-11_22-9-36.png
    139.7 KB · Views: 432

Ryuuji

I downloaded the Surface pro 3 January zip, but it seems the video card driver is the newest.

\Downloads\Surface Pro 3 - January 2015\Surface Pro 3 - January 2015\Intel\Graphics\10.18.14.4029

The driver number 10.18.4029 is the same as my installed driver from November 2014.

What did I do wrong?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I downloaded the Surface pro 3 January zip, but it seems the video card driver is the newest.

The driver number 10.18.4029 is the same as my installed driver from November 2014.

What did I do wrong?
It looks like they may have rolled back the January Video Driver, it was causing Miracast Issues for many....

buers

After I got the firmware update of 1/15/2015 for five times and each time it was installed successfully according to the update history, it didn't happen anymore since 3/10/2015.

On 3/13/2015 I received the firmware update dated 3/10/2015. Since then, I again received this update for another two times. Again all three installations are reported to have been successful.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
How about your January video drivers ? No problem with Miracast issues? Mine is still nov.
The Surface Firmware Updates often include Driver updates, January's included an updated Video and WLAN Driver, the combo seemed to break Miracast for many. I noticed that are pushing it out again this week...

OP
C

cemian

Just as a side note...in case anybody else is having poorer battery life out of their sp3...the best video driver I have witnessed so far is the actual intel driver from january....I updated to the microsoft march version and battery life went poor again around 4 hoursjust like it was before with any of the microsoft drivers...least with the january intel driver i could last about 6 hours or so...worth a shot for those curious types :)