kristalsoldier

Attachments

• System Update.jpg
    System Update.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 692

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
A firmware and driver (19 January 2016) update for the Surface Pro 3 display. More information to follow.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

The site has been updated with the info. See here: Microsoft Surface Pro 3 update history | Surface firmware updates

But according to some posts on Reddit, this update is causing problems. Personally, I have not experienced any and the crashing display driver problem has also stopped. I think - not sure yet - that my SP3 is also running a bit cooler than before. Not tested battery life yet.

Aside: A similar firmware update is available for the S3. I updated that too. Again, no problems though some on Reddit are saying that they are also facing issues. One thing though, I can't seem to get the Surface App to work. It is not recognizing the new Pen that I paired with it. I have tried reinstalling the app, pairing and unpairing and repairing the Pen with no luck. So, I can't yet map the buttons on the Pen to my chosen app(s). But I believe with this update we are supposed to be able to do that. This applies to both the SP3 and the S3 to the best of my knowledge.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Note there is quite a bit of difference between the W8.1 update and the W10 update especially on the S3 Id call that a huge difference as the list of S3 W10 driver updates is lengthy. kinda makes you wonder if we're experimenting.
I updated my W8.1 S3 without issue, it's too early to tell what effect it will have.
Also updated the W10 SP3 without issue, again it's too early to tell what effect it will have.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Note there is quite a bit of difference between the W8.1 update and the W10 update especially on the S3 Id call that a huge difference as the list of S3 W10 driver updates is lengthy. kinda makes you wonder if we're experimenting.
I updated my W8.1 S3 without issue, it's too early to tell what effect it will have.
Also updated the W10 SP3 without issue, again it's too early to tell what effect it will have.

Well, one thing I have noticed today - this is after the update and this is on a SP3 running W10 as upgraded from 8.1. I took the SP3 off the charger at 1:40PM today. It is now 9:40PM and the charge is down to 12% and the Battery Saver has kicked in.

No driver crashes of any kind. Aside for a time period of 90 mins plus maybe 5-10 mins when I was away from my desk when I was not using the device at all, I have been on it all the time. For the most part of those hours I have had fours apps open and active all the time: MS Word, Edge (2-3 tabs), Readit, Telegram. I have also from time to time checked for updates in the System App and in the Store App. Wifi and BT are on (I once - for about 30 mins - tethered the SP3 to my phone for an internet connection). I have not during this whole time shut it down.

To all intents and purposes, the update has not YET seemed to have done any harm.

In everyway the device has seemed stable.