What's new

System Image Backup fails in Surface Pro Win 8.1 with an error

jaeezzy

Hi Guys, I'm brand new to this forum so please bear with me for I have few issues bugging me :)

I'm using Verbatim 500GB portable hard drive formatted in NTFS. It doesn't have anything in it and when I do the System Image Back through File History in Winodws 8.1 (Surface Pro) at the end of the back (i.e after the progress bar for the backup reaches around the end) I get the error message - "There was a failure while compacting the virtual had disk on the backup location. (0x80780151) Additional Information: Incorrect function. (0x80070001)". As read in other sites for previous issues that I was having with Windows 8 for the same (not the exact error message though) I went to System Protection @ This PC -> Properties -> Advanced system settings -> System Protection and selected the portable drive and then went to configure and made the Max Usage for "Disk Space Usage" 100% and also did "Delete all restore points for this drive" but to no avail. I have never been able to create system image backup since windows 8. Please advise. Thank you.

Jay

oion

You might try the Microsoft community boards, as they have both users and actual MS people there (or contact MS tech support to at least get the issue on their radar): Windows - Microsoft Community

Still, I'm curious if anyone has successfully created and restored a custom external backup image from a Surface; I expect most people stick with the factory option.

OP
J

jaeezzy

You might try the Microsoft community boards, as they have both users and actual MS people there (or contact MS tech support to at least get the issue on their radar): Windows - Microsoft Community

Still, I'm curious if anyone has successfully created and restored a custom external backup image from a Surface; I expect most people stick with the factory option.

Thanks for the response guys :)

I have been trying to post to Microsoft community support for couple days now but the submit button just didn't do what it but will be trying again.. Hence posting it here :(

If I couldn't make myself clear in my initial post then all I'm doing is trying to create a system image backup by using "System Image Backup" tool that comes with Windows 8.1. For this I went to "File History" tool and under this at the bottom-left hand side there is a link "System Image Backup". Then selected the drive and just clicked Next and Ok on the prompts.

I'm using Verbatim 500GB portable hard drive. I have formatted it in NTFS file system as required by the backup tool. It has nothing in it so it has enough space.

I had issue with Windows 7 system back that Windows 8 had previously as well though I was getting different error then.

I get the below error message around the last stage of the backup since the progress bar will be just around the finish line when the below error pops up saying that the backup wasn't successful:

ERROR: "There was a failure while compacting the virtual had disk on the backup location. (0x80780151) Additional Information: Incorrect function. (0x80070001)"

Thanks
Jay

Hobbes5215

I've used the System Image Backup on my SP3 several times with a WD My Passport Ultra. It's formatted NTFS as well. I have not encountered any of the problem you have.

Maybe you can try reformatting the drive, but un-check the quick format option.

I have also used the free Macrium reflect to do a backup with no issues, either.

guymalloc

I regularly use the system image backup on my SP1, windows 8.1.1, and have restored an image couple of times. I use a 500gb toshiba external usb2 harddrive, and the restore was done from windows, didn't have to use my repair/restore dvd I created back when the SP1 was new. All I had to do after the restore was re-do windows updates, and a few software updates. I store all my personal files on the microsd card, and it isn't affected by the system restore.