What's new

System restarts instead of returning normally from sleep

tbpshare

bump (new thread not found)

I have what looks to be the same issue with my Surface Pro 3 running Windows 10.

According to the windows system log the issue started 11-08-2015 -the day after windows update installed "systemfirmware - ‎7/‎23/‎2015" (according to windows update history)

I was running Windows 10 before that time - without any sleep issues. Based on this it looks more like a system firmware issue than a win 10 issue. The issue is repeatable.

log from today:
12:37:23 The previous system shutdown at 10:16:09 on ‎24-‎08-‎2015 was unexpected..
12:37:15 The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
12:37:11 ... various boot events ...
12:37:11 The last shutdown's success status was false. The last boot's success status was true.
12:37:11 The operating system started at system time ‎2015‎-‎08‎-‎24T10:37:11.486009300Z.
10:16:52 The system is entering connected standby

I also checked this
- fully windows patched (as of 24-08-2015) and surface patched (3.11.0950)
- did full surface reset (no change to the issue and no new updates)
- ran sfc /scanow - no issues or integrity violations found
- I have visual studio 2013 installed and .dmp did not reveal any more than alreayd documented in the thread

Is this a bigger issue - or does it only apply to a select few ?

coucho

Can I just ask the following:
1. Is the SP3 docked in the MS Dock?
2. Is this happening on wired, or wireless?
3. Are you running any VPN or Identity Agent (Network Access Protection) software? I'm thinking Cisco, Checkpoint, etc.
4. If this is happening on wired network, is it via the USB ethernet adapter, or docking station NIC?

Ta!

tbpshare

1. Is the SP3 docked in the MS Dock?
A: No - I happens without the MS dock (at least for me).

2. Is this happening on wired, or wireless?
A: Wireless

3. Are you running any VPN or Identity Agent (Network Access Protection) software? I'm thinking Cisco, Checkpoint, etc.
A: Yes - Cisco AnyConnect (4.1.04011) and Shrewsoft VPN Access (version 2.2.2)

4. If this is happening on wired network, is it via the USB ethernet adapter, or docking station NIC?
A: It is confirmed to happen on Wireless network - without docking or other adapters, but I can not rule out that it can also happen in the MS docking.

coucho

If you start a CMD.EXE prompt as an Administrator (important), then type POWERCFG.EXE /H ON to re-enable hibernation. I have seen the exact problem you describe with a SP3 running some VPN and NAP software. Turned out to be the NAP software, but removing it wasn't that simple. In the end I did a rebuild excluding the NAP software - no more blue screens (your system is actually blue screening, but you don't see it on screen).

tbpshare

I ran the POWERCFG /H ON command in administrator mode and will report the result the next time it sleeps/hibernate.

Nuspieds

You might want to do a test where all non-MS apps/services are disabled to see if you still have the problem.

I had this exact problem with my SP2 and it coincidentally started around the time of a firmware update. I was convinced it was due to the update.

But I was eventually proven wrong: The nasty culprit turned out to be the Netgear Genie app. I found several posts around the web by others who were experiencing the same issue with this app. Once uninstalled, I never ran into the problem again.