What's new

System restarts instead of returning normally from sleep

rkin005

Recently my Surface Pro 3 i5 seems to no longer be able to return from Sleep mode, instead when I wake it up it's a clean restart. It may have done this once or twice in the past couple of months but now it's happening very often, perhaps every time. Is this a recent firmware update or something I've installed or a known problem?

Looking in the System Event log this is how the most recent restart went:

19:59:22 - The system is entering connected standby
Reason: Idle Timeout.

20:12:20 - A worker process with process id of '9304' serving application pool 'MyWebAppPool' was shutdown due to inactivity. Application Pool timeout configuration was set to 20 minutes. A new worker process will be started when needed.
[note - I'm running IIS and this is an app pool I use]

22:05:18 - WARN - A multi-touch device reported inconsistent contact information.

22:05:18 - Touch Hardware Quality Assurance verification succeeded.

22:11:45 - The operating system started at system time ‎2014‎-‎11‎-‎06T22:11:45.495962300Z.

22:11:45 - The last shutdown's success status was false. The last boot's success status was true.

22:11:45 - Hypervisor launch has been disabled through the hypervisorlaunchtype bcdedit setting.

... several normal boot information events ...

22:11:53 - ERROR - The previous system shutdown at 22:03:24 on ‎06/‎11/‎2014 was unexpected.

... several normal info events ...

22:11:47 - CRITICAL - The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

22:11:49 - WARN - The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device ACPI\MSHW0027\2&daba3ff&2.

22:11:49 - The UMDF reflector was unable to complete startup because the WUDFPf service was not found. This service may be started later during boot, at which point Windows will attempt to start the device again.

22:11:49 - WARN - The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device ROOT\WPD\0000.

22:11:49 - WARN - The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device HID\MSHW0030&Col01\5&294f3b18&1&0000.​

22:11:54 - ERROR - The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000014f (0x0000000000000007, 0x0000000000000001, 0xffffc001c51fc260, 0xffffd0015545bb30). A dump was saved in: C:\windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 110614-7812-01.​

Any suggestions?

thanks,

Rory

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
From the info you posted you have the Hyper- V role enabled or at some point had enabled, which means it is crashing entering hibernation rather than sleep. Make sure you have all of the Updates installed including Firmware and suspend any virtual workloads prior to hibernation.

OP
R

rkin005

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the suggestion, but I have Hyper-V installed but disabled using bcdedit as per this article so don't have any virtual workloads (and never have run any VMs on it for example). I did that weeks before this issue started occurring. Running powercfg /a gives me these available:

The following sleep states are available on this system:
Standby (Connected)
Hibernate
Fast Startup

Does that look fine or do you think it's still likely to be Hyper-V related?

In this particular crash it didn't enter Hibernation and doesn't look like it tried to: it entered connected standby at 19:59 and then at 22:11 it started up. I thought hibernation would normally happen at about the 4hr mark? I'm not sure why the 22:05 events occurred: when I opened and pressed the power button on my surface it seemed to start quickly and that would be around 22:11. Perhaps the 22:05 events were me taking it out of my bag and moving it around the house, e.g. surface keyboard movement wanted to wake it from standby.

regards,

Rory

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have Visual Studio installed? If you do have Visual Studio installed load the .dmp file into the debugger to see what crashed S0iX....

OP
R

rkin005

I do have Visual Studio but it reports that it can't open the MEMORY.DMP file ("Debugging older format crashdumps is not supported"), which appears to be normal. It also can't open minidump files.

I tried WhoCrashed instead which reported the problem was in pdc.sys:

On Thu 06/11/2014 22:10:30 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\windows\Minidump\110614-7812-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: pdc.sys (pdc+0xF42B)
Bugcheck code: 0x14F (0x7, 0x1, 0xFFFFC001C51FC260, 0xFFFFD0015545BB30)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
file path: C:\windows\system32\drivers\pdc.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Power Dependency Coordinator Driver
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

Same as the most recent restart yesterday:

On Fri 07/11/2014 18:29:42 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: pdc.sys (pdc+0xFD72)
Bugcheck code: 0x14F (0x2, 0x2, 0xFFFFF8000B820578, 0xFFFFD000296A7B30)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
file path: C:\windows\system32\drivers\pdc.sys
description: Power Dependency Coordinator Driver
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

Looking at my other minidump files there are a couple more pdc.sys and a couple of different ones:

On Tue 04/11/2014 09:44:05 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\windows\Minidump\110414-8765-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x153CA0)
Bugcheck code: 0x19 (0x20, 0xFFFFE000DD07A0E0, 0xFFFFE000DD07A120, 0x404000E)
Error: BAD_POOL_HEADER
file path: C:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a pool header is corrupt.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 07/10/2014 20:01:59 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\windows\Minidump\100714-8890-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x153CA0)
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFE00109797060, 0xFFFFF801B9791930, 0xFFFFE0010C480A10)
Error: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
file path: C:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

I can install something else to look at the DMP files if that's likely to reveal anything more. Any suggestions?

thanks,

Rory

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have all of the updates installed? Firmware updates should have fixed the Power Management issue....

OP
R

rkin005

I have the latest windows updates. Updates last installed on 29th Oct ... which could be about when I started experiencing this problem.

I don't have Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, and haven't done anything funky with my power management settings to my knowledge.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have the latest windows updates. Updates last installed on 29th Oct ... which could be about when I started experiencing this problem.

I don't have Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, and haven't done anything funky with my power management settings to my knowledge.
Did any of the Updates fail? I would personally do a full reset.

OP
R

rkin005

None of the updates failed.

A full reset would require me to reinstall and reconfigure a lot of things, so not really an option for this one.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
None of the updates failed.

A full reset would require me to reinstall and reconfigure a lot of things, so not really an option for this one.
Then you'll need to go old school

From an elevated CMD prompt run sfc /scannow and see if there is any corrupted files....

Also, which version of Visual Studio are you running?

OP
R

rkin005

sfc /scannow never found any problems. I switched to using Hibernate instead of Sleep/Standby, but recently after upgrading to Win10 found myself using Sleep/Standby and once again my surface is crashing during wake and then needs to start from scratch. Could be something different now it's been months and a Win10 upgrade, so i'll post a new thread.