What's new

Take a look at this...

pallentx

ha! I get the criticism of an unintuitive, over complicated interface with a steep learning curve. So, if a n00b could figure out your OS quickly, you can show that your OS is intuitive and user-friendly. BUT, you cant make the leap to say that if you cant figure everything out instantly, then you have a bad, not user-friendly OS. With Windows 8, its literally 3 or 4 things you need to know and you're off an running.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

ha! I get the criticism of an unintuitive, over complicated interface with a steep learning curve. So, if a n00b could figure out your OS quickly, you can show that your OS is intuitive and user-friendly. BUT, you cant make the leap to say that if you cant figure everything out instantly, then you have a bad, not user-friendly OS. With Windows 8, its literally 3 or 4 things you need to know and you're off an running.

I wonder if the same is the case for someone coming to OSX. One weakness in that video I noticed is that the lady uses XP for her work. So, she knows how to move around the desktop of a Windows machine (at least I assume she does). I would have thought that given this background, jarring as the Win 8 interface may have been, some things would have been obvious (which is what is usually passed off as being intuitive) such as right-clicking (or at least trying to click both buttons of the mouse) at the bottom left edge of the screen. There are other minor things that I noticed - both in the video and when I look around. For example, everyone (who uses a computer) regardless of the OS - at some point - looks for the date and time. While I did not notice this as being significant, my partner pointed this out. You see, sometimes when I am working in my study, she comes over to have a chat. Often she asks me for the time. I caught myself (this is when I was on Win 7) looking to the taskbar to look for the time. Now, while I have a two-monitor setup and one of them is always on the traditional desktop, I do the same thing and all is fine. But sometimes I am working only on the RT and usually either a full screen app is open or it is the MUI. In either case, to tell her the time, I would have to sweep in the Charms bar. Now, imagine a work station with only one monitor. If you are the desktop mode, then there is no problem. There is nothing to do - the date and time are not hidden away. But what if you are in the MUI? I did not think it significant till my partner pointed this out. Since then, of course, I have downloaded a time app (recommended by Russ!) and it does not matter any more. But, I think, it is little things like these that irritate people (like the lady in the video - though I do think she does have other problems) and given that we seem to be living in an Age of (widespread) Attention Deficit Disorder, I am not surprised to find that people are not taking their time to look for things or to think things through. Btw, I also noticed that in the video, her intro to Win 8 was, well, badly timed. She appeared to be cranky and bothered (perhaps sleepy too!) - something that is not replicated in the other videos where she is seen trying other OSs.

repinca

This doesn't mean anything, plus it's edited. She clearly already knows more about iOS. The first thing she says is I thought this would be the power button because that's where it is on your iPad. I started the iPad one and she's not much better.

The first time I used a Mac it was not clear at all. If you use a PC all your life, using a Mac initially makes you want to beat your head against a wall.

It takes five minutes to learn the commands, god forbid. I did find though that windows 8 with a mouse is not as fluid. I've decided to leave Windows 7 on my laptop.

pallentx

The first time I used a Mac it was not clear at all. If you use a PC all your life, using a Mac initially makes you want to beat your head against a wall.

It takes five minutes to learn the commands, god forbid. I did find though that windows 8 with a mouse is not as fluid. I've decided to leave Windows 7 on my laptop.
Ha! So true about Macs. When I first started doing video editing on Macs, I remember being completely stumped on how to get a cd out of the drive. You had to drag the cd icon to the trash to eject the disk.

pallentx

My wife complained about the clock as well. MS's philosophy, however is to get everything out of the way and I am willing to give up a clock to achieve this goal. Its just a simple mouse gesture away -- top right corner and slide down a bit. On touch, its even easier.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Ha! So true about Macs. When I first started doing video editing on Macs, I remember being completely stumped on how to get a cd out of the drive. You had to drag the cd icon to the trash to eject the disk.

Now THAT is certainly not intuitive!