What's new

Take notes on PDF

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does the PDF need to remain a PDF? Another even better solution for inking is to print the PDF to OneNote.

I did this for the first time today - I printed a journal article to One Note at work, then when I was out for lunch I sync'd my surface to it (Surface is my own personal device and I can't use work network so had to be out and about and on a public wifi - how mad is that!) then I used the pen and annotated the OneNote version in the MUI version of OneNote.... it was fantastic. This is a game changer for me - I should now be able to remember where I put journal articles and actually be able to go back to them - they'll all be in One Note!

HvT

I also like to print to OneNote and comment there. Already doing this since years - before my SP3 via keyboard and Wacom-alike tablet...
However, if you need to pass a commented PDF to somebody else, it is more convenient to have the inking inside the PDF. For me, PDFAnnotator does the job. It is on sale actually. Education licenses are available as well, for students and teachers.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I also like to print to OneNote and comment there. Already doing this since years - before my SP3 via keyboard and Wacom-alike tablet...
However, if you need to pass a commented PDF to somebody else, it is more convenient to have the inking inside the PDF. For me, PDFAnnotator does the job. It is on sale actually. Education licenses are available as well, for students and teachers.
I gave up on PDF Annotator and switched to Drawboard PDF....I used PDF Annotator since the beta of 1.0 through the 4.x versions, but I find Drawboard PDF to do everything I need for less money and doesn't impact my battery life....

~X.T.~

Dose any of hou knows which App allows to TYPE notes on a PDF. So far I have only seen ones that highlight/draw on it?

Drawboard allows you to insert text notes. Requires a few taps more, but yes it's does allow typed notes.

At the moment it's a little buggy though. When you use the arrow keys to move your text entry cursor, the page changes too, am raising the issue on their user forum, should not be too hard a fix.

emfollin

Anyone know why you can annotate files in the Reader app when create a PDF file through Word but if you scan a document as a PDF file, you can not annotate it?

Liam2349

I tend to use the Reader app, but since my PDFs are full of Greek and Reader doesn't display it properly, I'm having to use Drawboard.

I like Drawboard, but what really annoys me is how the ink lags.