What's new

Task view on surface pro 6

jott27

My new Surface Pro6 has two modes for displaying the Task view. In one mode the Desktop selection is shown with the option of adding additional virtual desktops. It also shows on the right side of the screen a timeline. The second mode does not show any virtual desk top selection, but it also shows the timeline. My first exploration was frustrated by my inability to deliberately select which mode to choose, it appeared to be rather random. A live chat with the Microsoft support team was kind of frustrating because the support guy wanted to get access to my computer. Eventually I gave up on him.
Left on my own I researched the problem and eventually found the solution. Should anyone be interested he should respond to this post (it is my first!) and I would be glad to describe in detail how to change from one mode to the other and back again.
Cheers, John

OP
jott27

jott27

My new Surface Pro6 has two modes for displaying the Task view. In one mode the Desktop selection is shown with the option of adding additional virtual desktops. It also shows on the right side of the screen a timeline. The second mode does not show any virtual desk top selection, but it also shows the timeline. My first exploration was frustrated by my inability to deliberately select which mode to choose, it appeared to be rather random. A live chat with the Microsoft support team was kind of frustrating because the support guy wanted to get access to my computer. Eventually I gave up on him.
Left on my own I researched the problem and eventually found the solution. Should anyone be interested he should respond to this post (it is my first!) and I would be glad to describe in detail how to change from one mode to the other and back again.
Cheers, John
My ignorance led me over a long path, that even included a long online chat with a support guy, to finally find the easy solution. The one mode is simple the tablet mode, and the other is the desk mode. To be switched via the Action Center by selecting Tablet mode on/off. Wish all my other problems will be solved so easy.

Turbo4AWD

I actually use tablet mode a MAJORITY of the time and only use they keyboard/desktop mode every once in a while. The onscreen split keyboard works so very well for me that I don't need to attach a keyboard, but I understand everyone is different. I just know that Microsoft made the perfect tablet device for me. No more "...not available on mobile device.." errors when I try to visit a page or view a video on a mobile Android/iOS tablet. I get the full power of a desktop OS with capability of consumption like a tablet OS.