What's new

Tegra 4 Surface RT 2?

GreatWindows

Now that "leaks" of the Tegra 4 have been released.......I wonder if i should wait for the Surface 2 with Tegra 4 to come out lol. The Tegra 3 is pretty outdated already... And the performance gain on the Tegra 4 is supposedly going to be 6 six times more powerful

J515OP

Super Moderator
Well you can take that attitude towards any new tech and you will be forever in waiting. Surface 2 is not likely to appear until Q4 of 2013. So do you really want to wait a year? Even then it may not use the Tegra 4 but some other chip. Just saying... ;)

JP

OP
GreatWindows

GreatWindows

I agree with what you guys are saying...but the Tegra 3 came out in what? 2011? we are hitting 2013. If the Surface 2 uses any other chip it will still he a HUGE jump in processing power, GPU, battery life etc...

J515OP

Super Moderator
It may seem old but it isn't. It is the chip currently running in the top devices. By the time Tegra 4 comes out there is a very good chance Intel chips will be as energy efficient as ARM and possibly more powerful. Way to early to say anything. Besides it will be quite a few months before we see anything available with Tegra 4. It sure seems like it will be a big jump but if you really need that much processing power you may want to see how it stacks up against the Intel chips in the pipeline that will also support x86 programs.

taubs

tegra 4 might be out for fall 2013 for surface. thats a long time to wait. you can look at the dell xps coming out around xmas should have similar performance being a snapdragon a15.

Last edited:

bosamar

I hung on to my iPadv1 until the Surface RT came out... That iPadv1 is now worthless. I'll update to RTv2 as soon as it's released and sell my RTv1.

OP
GreatWindows

GreatWindows

I hope microsoft takes their time and doesnt release a new RT in like 5 months like apple....... hopefully they get that CPU/GPU power and better speakers, and cameras :)

and the screen resolution i actually think its perfect.... i was extremely skeptical about the lower resolution..but when i went to bestbuy and actually used one.... i was surprised as to how clear it was.

Arctherus

I was sort of thinking the same thing but I just decided to buy the V1 and when the V2 comes out I'll just sell my V1 :p

R0bR

You'll never have one because you'll always wait for the next version that will be better, gotta bite the bullet.

Rallicat

I don't think we'll see Microsoft pushing out a new Surface RT that fast. My money is on Surface 2 coming out 'a year later' at the earliest (so, October 2013). It's possible something might hit sooner of course. In the meantime, If you're interested in a Surface - dive in. I'm confident we'll see updates coming for Windows RT and Surface specifically that will keep on improving the performance of the product :)