What's new

Tempting backlit bluetooth keyboard...

mitchellvii

Amazon.com: Logitech Bluetooth Illuminated Keyboard K810 for PCs, Tablets, Smartphones - Black (920-004292): Computers & Accessories

81nLa838yHL._SL1500_.jpg

Backlighting would come in handy, although the screen on the SP is so close to the OEM keyboard it already lights it. One thing I like about this keyboard is that it has a button to quickly switch between your pc, tablet and phone.

Last edited:

riggi

That is nice. I've used the Logitech BT keyboard for ANdroid, and that feels really nice to type on.
Do the function keys default to FN keys?

The one thing that annoys me the most about my SP is the FN keys on the type cover.

I use FN keys a lot more than media controls, etc.. For example, F5 all the time to refresh web pages, SHIFT-F3 all the time in Word to toggle case to just name a couple of the most commonly used ones in widely used programs.

I'm thinking of a BT keyboard to keep at my desk at work (but then, I'd probably want to get one for my desk at home too... :)

riggi

Damn. I see the MS Wedge keyboard is the same.

Do people really use the media buttons all that often? More than Fn keys?
Especially when there is a hardware volume up and down on the SP and many laptops/tablets.

The search button is superfluous when you can just hit the Windows key and start typing to search.

Granted, if you are just consuming content, you probably will use the media buttons more than Fn keys, but for anyone trying to do any productivity work, Fn keys are probably a lot more frequently used.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Damn. I see the MS Wedge keyboard is the same.

Do people really use the media buttons all that often? More than Fn keys?
Especially when there is a hardware volume up and down on the SP and many laptops/tablets.

The search button is superfluous when you can just hit the Windows key and start typing to search.

Granted, if you are just consuming content, you probably will use the media buttons more than Fn keys, but for anyone trying to do any productivity work, Fn keys are probably a lot more frequently used.

This is certainly an on going problem and one that MS will hopefully solve with a preference option, FN or media.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

For those who don't know, the Function keys work on the touch keyboard they just don't have numbers on them. You have to push down Fn > Search combination for F5 refresh.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

That is a very nice keyboard. This might also be a good option. It includes an adjustable angle stand/keyboard cover. Amazon.com: Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard for Business: Electronics

That is pretty sweet but doesn't have backlit keys. That's kind of priority for me.

Good news is that BestBuy carries both of these keyboards and they price match Amazon.

Of course the nice thing about the touch cover keyboard is that with my case I don't have to carry extra pieces and if I don't have the case on the cover protects my hands from the toaster over back of my SP.

Last edited:
OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Went ahead and bought the one I listed in the OP. My reasons:

1) Really need a backlit keyboard.
2) Like the idea I can switch between my SP and Note II on the fly with the press of a button.

UPDATE:
Ok, just opened it up and linked it. Very nice. The keyboard stays dark until your hands are over the keys and it lights up. So so sweet. It is just about 1/4 wider on either side than than the SP so it doesn't look funny. Last 20 hours on a single 3 hour charge. Very much a quality feel.

Negatives. No carrying case but it fits just fine in my case and holds in place when I wrap the elastic band around the case.

Last edited:
OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

This is so cool how I can change between my tablet and phone just by clicking a button on the keyboard. Excellent.