What's new

Terrible Customer Service in Woodfield Store

tuchas

Wanted to share with all of you my experience at the MS Store in Woodfield Mall, Schaumburg, IL. Had to swap out my SP3 because of a defect I found in the glass - almost like a scribble in the glass itself. I made an appointment at 8pm and was greeted by a salesperson who was already helping someone else out. I told her about the problem, and she gets a "plain brown box" unit from the back. I asked if it was new or refurb but she said it was new (yeah, right). Anyway, she could not connect her store computer to the network and had a problem printing out the receipt for an exchange. But I wanted to check the "new" unit, and we discovered it was DOA. In the meantime, I had brought my original box which she proceeded to rip open in several places, which really started to piss me off.

I demanded a brand new unit. I had bought this unit less than a month ago so I didn't want any "plain brown box" unit. In the meantime, it took her forever and a day to get the SECOND exchange going. She was going back and forth between me and another customer and she could not get the second receipt to print. Then she tried to force me to keep my original pen and packaging, which I refused. By the time I got out of the store I had wasted nearly an hour and a half in there because of her. She was so slow and incompetent that it really became a lousy experience.

I don't know if any of you had issues in the retail stores, but if they want to compete with Apple, they better improve on the quality of their personnel.

grumpy

If the unit is within the 30 day return period, you could just return it for a refund and then buy a new one.

OP
tuchas

tuchas

If the unit is within the 30 day return period, you could just return it for a refund and then buy a new one.

In the end I ended up with a new one in a regular retail box. But still, there is no excuse for ignorance.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Doesn't sound ideal, but i have to say, MS told you in advance that they were so busy they couldn't even check to see if they had new units in stock, and then you're surprised to find that the rep is busy enough that she has to juggle between customers? To me it seems like that was clearly to be expected.

VickiFL

This is December, and ALL retailers are extra busy with tons of Christmas orders. I feel sorry for retail personnel this time of year.

OP
tuchas

tuchas

I understand it's that time of year. But if you can't even print a document and can't connect to a wireless network in a Microsoft store, that's a problem. I wasn't as put off by her going back and forth between customers.

OP
tuchas

tuchas

Doesn't sound ideal, but i have to say, MS told you in advance that they were so busy they couldn't even check to see if they had new units in stock, and then you're surprised to find that the rep is busy enough that she has to juggle between customers? To me it seems like that was clearly to be expected.

I didn't even mention that MS told me in advance that they couldn't check stock. How could you know that? You work at the store?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I didn't even mention that MS told me in advance that they couldn't check stock. How could you know that? You work at the store?

You posted it in another thread ;) It was only having read that comment that i posted here having realised you were not being entirely fair towards microsoft.

OP
tuchas

tuchas

Well, so be it. I suppose I may have overreacted because the salesperson called me today to check on my new replacement SP3. Or perhaps she read this thread. :p